telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/18/17, 08:54 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2014 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  May 2014 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  May 14-15, 2014 Bean Ck, Earl, Iron, Teanaway Road
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: May 14-15, 2014 Bean Ck, Earl, Iron, Teanaway Road  (Read 4856 times)
artfreeman
5Member

May 14-15, 2014 Bean Ck, Earl, Iron, Teanaway Road
« on: 05/16/14, 11:44 AM »

Dicey, Hollywood, Jack the dog and I skied Earl on Wed, and Iron on Thurs. with a relaxing car camp at Beverly Ck CG. We were spooked by the reports of so much new snow having fallen up north and decided to go to what we thought would be a safer area.  It was warm and soft as you'd expect given the temps.  We skied the slopes north of Earl and of Iron and were very careful not to get below cornices.  Most were melted back but big ones remain and we saw chunks fall off during the day.  2 fun days, but we need some freezing at night for this to corn up.

Drove to Bean TH and walked 1 hour on dirt before skinning.  Still lots of snow up high, but thin down low.  You must pay the price.  I was surprised to read an earlier report about skiing chutes on the SW of Earl.  I did not even see how they connect at this point.  You da man! But the more open slopes have attractive coverage.

Drove up Teanaway River Road to the TH to Iron.  Hiked the nice trail about 1/2 hour to easy skinning, and took 3 laps on the NE slopes from near top of Iron.  Some shallow slides, and also a decent ski run back on the west side to the trail.

Drove up Teanaway road until stopped by deep snow--there were tracks, but it looked too deep for our car, and we were not gong up anyway, just checking.  This was about 1 mile from the road-end.

Jim Oker

Re: May 14-15, 2014 Bean Ck, Earl, Iron, Teanaway Road
« Reply #1 on: 05/17/14, 07:47 AM »

I was surprised to read an earlier report about skiing chutes on the SW of Earl.  I did not even see how they connect at this point.  You da man!
Since I've not been up there this season, I can't comment on what it actually looks like now. But what I can say is that if you followed more or less the summer trail line up Earl, there are some lines down the west face (from between the summit and the northern prominence of the summit ridge, closer to the northern prominence) that have looked improbable to us even in good-cover conditions until we got more under them - they are a bit visually occluded from the summer trail route and you can't quite see them from above either - we have always carefully scanned our chosen line from the basin.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.