Home > Trip Reports > September 24, 2005, Beyond the Coleman Pinnacle

September 24, 2005, Beyond the Coleman Pinnacle

9/24/05
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Telemon on 9/24/05 4:45am
Hours in the car........................4
Miles on the trail.....................10
Vertical feet on skis...............260
September 2005 turns.....Priceless

Unlike last year, a sorely needed early winter storm did not did not appear to bring freshies to the Baker area. However, with the month running out and no turns in the book, I had to just go and see what the mountain was offering.

The small snowfields along the Ptarmigan Ridge that my son and I had played on 8 weeks ago were gone.I didn't really want to go on to the lower glaciers, clearly shiny from miles away.So when I found a tongue with a snow-like surface past the Pinnacle and not quite to the Sholes Glacier, I decided that this was as good as it was going to get.

I could look all the way back to where I had started 2 hours before from the top of the run.The views of Baker's icefields confirmed my decision not to carry on down the trail. So I yo-yoed the little tongue of snow-like substance until I had fairly earned my September turns. I startled a group of hikers rounding the turn during my last run. As you might expect,I got some strange looks and queries, being the only person with skis on the homeward trail.
TAY this year is tough; way to go.

But last year, we had good early season, and no real season. Hopefully, this inverse relationship will hold true this year as well, and having no early season will translate into having a sick winter. :)

Here's to fresh October snow.

Do not fear.  Powder season appears to have already started on Baker, as seen in this photo from cc.com.

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/501180/an/0/page/0#501180

The stuff that the climber is "handling" doesn't look much like powder to me. The picture certainly was not taken on Saturday, as Baker was free of clouds. And there is the small matter of the subject being 4,000' higher than my destination.

I have some great shots of Saturday's spectacular scenery but unfortunately my photo gallery is having some issues at the moment. Hopefully, they will be available before we actually get some powder to ski.

http://www.telemarktips.com/Photopost/showphoto.php?photo=313&size=big&limit=recent

This is the scene of my September turns. I am still having problems with my photo gallery domain, though.

Enjoy,

Bob]

Reply to this TR

september-24-2005-beyond-the-coleman-pinnacle
Telemon
2005-09-24 11:45:37