Home > Trip Reports > 15 May 2014, - Mt Hood - Jackassery on the Mountain

15 May 2014, - Mt Hood - Jackassery on the Mountain

5/15/14
OR Mt Hood
Posted by dfhkvs on 5/15/14 10:07am
Terrific trip up south route today. Snow was super firm with excellent conditions. Near top of Old Chute, a small chute to the right allows you to bypass the super narrow ridge traverse. On top at 6, departed Hogsback on skis at 830. Skiing down to a bit above top of Palmer was bulletproof and sketchy. Below that, marvelous corn quickly led to mashed potatoes to sticky mush at the very end.

On the skin up (left at 1 am), we were 'passed' by a guided group in the sno-cat right at the top of Palmer. My 'hey how's it going' was met with:

"So, you heard the one 'drop the knee, suck the cock?' "

While I was not quick enough to reply "no, but you heard the one about the guys who took a taxi up Mt. Hood?" I did encourage them to have fun walking all the way down the mountain.

Some people have odd ways of saying hello.
Nicely done = that's a real haul!  That's pretty dumb about the comment but that sounds atypical - most people are friendly up there. 

There was good corn up there today with the cooler temps - we didn't summit but had a great last run from the crater at around 3pm and it was holding up well down upper zigzag glacier.

Some people just get big heads leading folks up slogs countless times..then again that could make sense with all the admiring "followers".

My guess is it wasn't the guide with the stupid comment...

Jackassery sums it up, your no response was the best retort, that kind of stuff can sure put the damper on a great day.  As a reminder I'm sure for every cull you bump into like that, there is at least 10, that make it all the better.

I think Freud would diagnose the jackass as a frustrated individual with deeply repressed feelings about his sexual orientation.

This is exactly why I go to the mountains, to escape the jackassery I experience when cycling, running, etc in the city, especially around college.  I have only had one incident when I was cycling up to Artist Point in pouring rain and high winds when a couple of college aged kids made a snide comment towards me as I was ascending the 10 mile climb.  As for skiing, I've yet to experience such negative comments, but I'm sure the day will come, unfortunately soon enough. 

How about, "what's the punchline, Richard?"  ::)

author=dfhkvs link=topic=31705.msg133138#msg133138 date=1400202453]
While I was not quick enough to reply...

It's ok, take comfort in knowing that most don't have the talent, athleticism & patience to ski free-heel  ;)

Reply to this TR

15-may-2014-mt-hood-jackassery-on-the-mountain
dfhkvs
2014-05-15 17:07:33