Home > Trip Reports > May 14, 2014, earl

May 14, 2014, earl

5/14/14
Posted by androolus on 5/15/14 12:51am
Hot, soft and sticky. Needs more cooking to be corn. Alas. I was able to unpleasantly ski the sw chute on earl at noon. Not sure earlier would have been better since there was a couple inches frozen on top of softer underneath on the skin up.

Snow started at 2nd gulley on trail just before getting to bean basin. The creek crossing in bean basin to earl slope should last another week. Skinned more or less to the summit. Here are some pictures of current conditions.

photos on flickr
What direction was that last photo (with the cornices) looking? S toward Standup Creek, E toward Navaho & Stafford Creek, or N toward Hardscrabble? I am planning a trip up Stafford tomorrow (Fri).

Obviously with the warm weather this week wet slides and cornices are the primary avy issue. Any avy activity or observations of note? Did you dig any pits?

Thanks for the report. Any idea how deep the softer slop was?

Last picture is SE toward stafford creek. I added a few more photos to that flickr album showing navaho and miller. No evidence of any major or even minor slide activity...except that little bit of cornice drop in the photo and some very minor wet slides from me skiing.  I even tried to launch a snowball down that slope in the photo to no avail.

Didn't dig a pit. The softness underneath the crust went down a foot and wasn't rotten...just annoying.

edited to say the photos were added to flickr....

Thanks a bunch for the other pics!

Reply to this TR

may-14-2014-earl
androolus
2014-05-15 07:51:48