Home > Trip Reports > May 14, 2014, - Washington Pass, Birthday Tour

May 14, 2014, - Washington Pass, Birthday Tour

5/14/14
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by mattgoyer on 5/14/14 4:25pm
Hit up the Birthday Tour at Washington Pass today. Hit the trail a little after 7:30am to find conditions were pretty firm on the way up but still concluded it the snowpack didn't get a good freeze the night before; probably should have put the ski crampons on sooner than we did! Ski down Madison Ave was great for the first half, mushy the second half. In the bottom half we were able to ski cut some small wet slides... Definitely saw evidence of wet slides from previous days and saw a few distant releases of varying sizes. Skiing down to the highway was better than expected but definitely getting mushy but noon.

Overall, while the skiing was decidely mushy, but it was great to be in the mountains! Plus we ran into some nice people to share some apres ski beers with.

What a great day out! WA pass is pretty stunning this week.

(This reply has been moved to a new TR here)

Thanks for the report. I am looking to go here tomorrow. You know where I can find some details on the route for the Birthday Tour?

Thanks!

author=camp_fidalgo link=topic=31701.msg133179#msg133179 date=1400274210">
Thanks for the report. I am looking to go here tomorrow. You know where I can find some details on the route for the Birthday Tour?

This is a fantastic guide: Volken et al Your local shop should have a copy. Enjoy!

Just picked the book up finally! Thanks for the reply!

Reply to this TR

may-14-2014-washington-pass-birthday-tour
mattgoyer
2014-05-14 23:25:18