telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/19/17, 06:01 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
American Alpine Institute
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Weak Layers: decision making in avalanche terrain
| | |-+  5/14/14 Shuksan Avi
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: 5/14/14 Shuksan Avi  (Read 15783 times)
T. Eastman

5/14/14 Shuksan Avi
« on: 05/14/14, 05:59 PM »

This was posted this afternoon in the Bellingham Herald

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2014/05/14/3642522/seattle-mountaineer-missing-after.html?sp=/99/101/102/[/url]

Best to those near and dear.

Todd
samthaman

Re: 5/14/14 Shuksan Avi
« Reply #1 on: 05/14/14, 11:25 PM »

sad news.
hop
5Member

« Reply #2 on: 05/14/14, 11:37 PM »

Well that sucks.  If anyone knows who was in the party please send me a PM. 

It doesn't matter where you've been as long as it was deep.
T. Eastman

« Reply #3 on: 05/14/14, 11:43 PM »

This stuff hurts every time it happens.

I may have gruff East Coaster roots, but the ski community is family to me and I do care deeply about this crazy clan. 
Jonathan_S.

« Reply #4 on: 05/15/14, 07:10 AM »

ID'd over on the CC board.

My various "Tech" bindings are powered by Gu.
Charlie Hagedorn

« Reply #5 on: 05/15/14, 10:01 AM »

Recovery flight took off this morning :

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Recovering-body-of-skier-killed-in-North-Cascades-5480569.php

Jonathan_S.

« Reply #6 on: 05/15/14, 05:28 PM »

[Edit:  apologies for the previously included misleading link to a similarly named individual, which I had looked up from an apparently incorrect post at another forum.]
TR's:
http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/userposts/id/3539
Pics & videos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/j4cooper/sets/
Subset of what would seem to be his own kids skiing:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/j4cooper/sets/72157641610618443/
(If you're a father of young kids, these are hard to handle -- I started crying -- but may they help to keep the rest of us safely scared.)
« Last Edit: 05/15/14, 06:07 PM by Jonathan_S. » Logged

Charlie Hagedorn

« Reply #7 on: 05/15/14, 06:00 PM »

I believe the WildSnow author is Jonathan Cooper of Bellingham  not John Cooper, 46, of Seattle.

NPS successfully made the recovery today (thank you, rangers!), and published John Cooper's name:
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2014/05/body_of_seattle_skier_killed_i.html

May family and friends find peace in this tough time.
« Last Edit: 05/15/14, 06:13 PM by Charlie Hagedorn » Logged

Lowell_Skoog

« Reply #8 on: 05/15/14, 06:17 PM »

Here's the CC.com thread discussing the accident:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1124072/Accident_on_NF_of_Shuksan_toda#Post1124072

John Cooper posted quite a few trip reports on CascadeClimbers.com under the login "SmilingWhiteKnuckles". His posts reveal a really likeable personality.

His photo collection on flickr is beautiful and heart breaking. Words fail.
« Last Edit: 05/15/14, 08:39 PM by Lowell_Skoog » Logged
Daver
5Member

« Reply #9 on: 05/15/14, 08:06 PM »

I have never met him, but always enjoyed his TRs on CC.com because they gave me hope that I could balance being a dad and still climb and ski. This really makes me question my actions. Seeing his Flicker album brings me to tears. My utmost condolences for his family.
sheispiste

« Reply #10 on: 05/15/14, 09:29 PM »

Coop was a bright light, and a big smile. I met him years ago playing ultimate in town, and then I gave it up to be a back country skier. I taught his nephew and niece at Eckstein and had them both on the ski bus, where they passionately picked up their uncle's love for the sport. This hits too close to home for many. May his memory remain a blessing.

any day in the mountains is a good day in the mountains
avajane

« Reply #11 on: 05/15/14, 09:40 PM »

To some extent, everyone's questioning themselves right now. I haven't climbed steep rock in years and only ski really steep snow in bounds, so I don't feel I'm risking death everytime I go to the hills. My kids are grown and my wife is used to it. If I was risking death on a regular basis this would really shake me up, and not just make me cry looking at the pictures. I do feel terrible about this guy, but I am going skiing tomorrow on something mellow. His closest friends may or may not change what they are doing, or how they do it. Everyone reacts differently.  I lost an old friend to a climbing accident many years ago and it slowed me down some, and got me to start wearing a helmet. I never really considered quitting - it just slowly happened over the years.

Few people think that what they are doing is really that dangerous. We all find ways to look at what we are doing in a reasonable way. We all climb or ski well below our limit. We are all skilled in certain ways, and educated in others. We can shrug off most accidents because we wouldn't have done it that way, or we wouldn't have been there in those conditions. I've already been over that check list with myself today.

The fact of the matter is if we love to play in the mountains, we are going to be in danger some of the time. We can be on the ragged edge of sanity, or the presumed safety of the low angle. We can all get hurt....on any day. Nobody can guarantee safety, or tell anyone else how safe to play, or exactly how to do it.  Nobody listens that much anyway.

For me I've never enjoyed being in a position where one fall or slip would probably cause certain death. Obviously, I've never been a free soloist, or a truly extreme skier.. I've always liked the security of ropes and partners, and lines that were clean and landings that were good. That doesn't mean that I've never made critical turns or been in spots where the only way out was up. I've just limited those times as much as possible over the years. For me, that's how I've kept my balance.

I'm so sorry that man died yesterday. He looked like he was having a wonderful life.

Skiing the "steeps" of Windy Acres tomorrow.

Brian Izdepski, Facebook TAY
LukerBee
5Member

« Reply #12 on: 05/16/14, 08:33 AM »

Well put on risk management Avajane...

As a dad, I have cut a deal with myself that the risk I take in the mountains is worth it for my kids. I am a more balanced, better Dad for the time I spend in the Cascades. And like John, I can share my love of the mountains with my kids.

That Flickr album is hard to look at. I wish the best for his young family in what will continue to be difficult time. I didn't know John, but in a way, we all know each other.
Lowell_Skoog

« Reply #13 on: 05/16/14, 08:50 AM »

First person account by John's partner:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1124151/Accident_on_NF_of_Shuksan_toda#Post1124144
jcocci

« Reply #14 on: 05/16/14, 09:57 AM »

Well put avajane.
Gregg_C

« Reply #15 on: 05/16/14, 11:49 AM »

Thanks for that Lowell.  That is a tough read.  My heart goes out to his wife, children, family and friends.  I got the call out yesterday morning via text for BMR and I was immediately worried about the implications.  Such a difficult situation.
Oyvind_Henningsen

« Reply #16 on: 05/16/14, 12:25 PM »

May John rest in peace, so sad to learn of this accident.  Thoughts to his family.......heartbreaking.

Lytt til erfarne fjellfolk!
Jonathan_S.

« Reply #17 on: 05/17/14, 09:59 AM »

Memorial website:
http://thinkingofjohn.weebly.com/
... which provides information on monetary donations, providing meals, and Sunday's memorial service in Seattle.

Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.