Home > Trip Reports > Upper Enchantments, May 7

Upper Enchantments, May 7

5/15/14
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by kevino on 5/7/14 11:16am
Unfortunately my time in Wenatchee has come to end and I'll be returning to Montana. Thankfully work and weather aligned for one last day of skiing in my beloved Stuart Range. With a plan to get as much skiing in as possible and mildly worried about today's forecasted warming weather, I left the truck at 0430 at the trail head. By 0815 I was sitting on the summit of Dragontail. The snow creek glacier had some nice "hot pow." I then climbed and skied Little Annapurna and the unnamed peak next to it. The top half was horrible, still frozen junk, the bottom half was smooth powder. I then toured across the Enchatnment Peak plateau to ski a couloir I had eyed the previous winter. It's southern aspect held perfect corn. From there all I had to do was skiing 2k of near perfect corn back to Colchuck Lake. Amazing day out.

For those who care:
-you can drive all the way to Stuart Lake TH
-the trail is mostly dirt to the second bridge. From there it is mostly snow, but easily doable in tennis shoes.
-The lake was still "frozen" today and safe.

Thanks, Kevin.  Best wishes for you in MT.  Some good stuff there, too.

Sure enjoyed meeting you and wish I could have gotten out in the mountains with you while you were here.  Best for fun in Montana.  Some day you'll find a partner who can keep up with you, but until then, keep me in mind.

I call the high point between Anapurna and Dragontail "Dino Rock", because of the balanced feature at the summit.  I love that pitch down to the plateau.

430 to 815 doesn't get me to the summit of Dragontail! Thanks for the report and enjoy the Big Sky Country.

Thanks for the update.  Where in MT are you heading?

Hey z-bo, heading back to the great Flathead Valley. You're always welcome back.

Reply to this TR

upper-enchantments-may-7
kevino
2014-05-07 18:16:22