May 4, 2014, Hallet Peak (12,713'), RMNP, Colorado

5/4/14
US elsewhere
Posted by MW88888888 on 5/6/14 10:48am
Day 44
May 4, 2014

Hallett Peak (12,713'), South Face
RMNP, Colorado

Skiing - 2,700 VF down to Lake Haiyaha (10,000'), 3,200 VF with trail skiing down to Bear Lake parking lot (9,475'). 

This one has been on the radar for a couple of years.  The only real bummer, even in this 160% snowpack year, were the portages.  Nothing major to contend with on this day, but a couple extra stars to routes with skis on the feet from the summit to the parking lot.  After finally shedding a fever of 101 on Wednesday and high pressure settling in for the weekend, peak bagging season was too much of a draw.  I dragged my weak body out the door.  I didn't expect to finish.  But I had to try.     

2:00 AM start.  Way too early to be alive. Mudhoney.  Eddie Harris.  Loud.
4:00 AM in the parking lot.  I wander up the dark trail following my flashlight.

The sun started fighting its way out from behind a low lenticular near the horizon around 6 in the morning.  Just as I cleared tree line in Chaos Canyon.  The deep night sky painted with layers of color emanating from the horizon.   Around me the wicked highball boulders of the world class sort were cast in a pinkish glow.  Gigantic, mottled, wavy granite boulders poked out of the 10 foot snowpack.  Inviting.  But not today.

I staggered on up the canyon passing my previous highpoint, skied in the winter to lap a north facing glade.

The face had two distinct cruxes.  The first was a tactical one, how to best enjoy the skiing without too many portages- the great skiing being fragmented steep slopes completed with RMNP traverses.   

The second crux was the steep bit transitioning from the middle to the upper bowl.  This might be the steepest part at about 50 in spots where I climbed.

The snow had a minor ice crust at the surface with the storm snow from last week underneath in consolidating spring snow.  Pretty easy kick stepping.  Kind of spicy no fall climbing, though.  The warm sun baked the cold night off the snowpack and eased my mind.

Near the top, I looked over to see another couple climbing the rib up from The Elevator Couloir.  "too many runnels" they said.  The last pyramid to the summit was a change in snow conditions once again, this time almost soft boot deep windblown pow.

We three skied from the summit one after another, at 10 am a softening smooth velvety canvass.

I didn't stop until back at the parking lot shortly after 11.
Looks great man!

Nice bluebird skies.  You have a pic of the lake from the summit?

Good work!

That's loads of snow for the Park.  Don't complain, it's rarely that good.  Do Fairchild it's fine.

Looks like the North Face of Hallets is next, eh?

Beautiful mountain!  I climbed the north face in 1980 when BC skiing wasn't even in my world.

Boot - if Lake Haiyaha, the only pic I had was at dawn. 

T East - yes, good year for the park, no complaining at all, just better non-stop descents can be found...like, as you mention, Tyndall glacier off the north side - I really enjoy that canyon better as the descent from the Divide is continuous and fun to Emerald lake. 

Nice run! I too struggle with 2AM wakeup calls, sometimes the other side wins ;)

MW88....

RMNP is an amazing place to ski.  You picked a great route that day.  I did scads of skiing there in the late-70s and early-80s as a transplant from the Adirondacks.  Being a climber the abundance of granite made for great scenery.  It was amazing that through some of the most improbable places, a sliver of snow would connect, or as you found, nearly connect these cool runs. 

Skiing is cool because each area develops its own character and games.

Do ski the S. side of Fairchild.  You can hike/scramble up Ypsilon, ski the ridge to Fairchild and then get a respectable descent down the hourglass of snow that forms on the S. side.  Lots of hiking to get in but good fun.

T East - Deal.  Fairchild is one of the last prizes for me along the Front Range.  Massive approach has kept it as a last Holy Grail.  But I look at it everyday from my house and the 2,000 VF down the SE face is so appealing.  Maybe this year? 

Reply to this TR

may-4-2014-hallet-peak-12-713-rmnp-colorado
MW88888888
2014-05-06 17:48:43