Home > Trip Reports > May 3, 14, Lane Peak Zipper Couloir *video*

May 3, 14, Lane Peak Zipper Couloir *video*

5/3/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ND on 5/5/14 2:23am
Last week we made a go for the zipper on Lane, center couloir trending climbers left.

A late gate opening and difficulty finding a bridge got out us out later then I had hoped.  While the new snow was dry (for the time of year), unconsolidated, and generally well bonded, a little bit of solar quickly changed things.  One snowball off a tree caused a point release of slough around 4" deep, which slid around Theresa, covering the skin track I just made 30 seconds prior.  While discussing our route out Jen slipped, weighting her poles strangely and separated her shoulder.  She skied out with a makeshift vest/sling like a champion, but needless to say it was not a good day.

Never thought I would tell the sun to go away.

So after the intense warming this week we had high hopes that the snow that was ready to go already had.  Theresa was back in along with Elliot.  The approach was straight forward, I toured straight up to a bridge further up the valley and no serious shenanigans were had touring (unless you count my downhill tele-split turns from the road, free your heel, break your face).

There was evidence of wet slides during the week, but not nearly as much or as destructive as I expected for how hot it had been.  Lovers Lane definitely got narrower though.

Theresa and Elliot made it up to the col with no difficulty.  Being stubborn I tried in vain to tour up a narrow section that went over 35 degrees and had a collapsed section to waterfall.  It ended up with me boot packing eventually for 20 feet.  Stupid waterfall ruining my bragging rights.

Upon getting to the top of the zipper I definitely had a pucker moment, this surely couldn't be what I rode last year.  Upon peering down it was definitely the familiar line, but with a much spicier entrance then last year.

There was talk about whether or not to ski it, the entrance was no wider then 1.5 ski lengths, and even though it doesn't show in photos I estimate around 50 degrees.  The snow was soft enough to have good edge hold though.  I decided I was going for it, Theresa thought for a while and decided to go for it, Elliot knew he was capable of the line  but just was not feeling it and decided to ride out the col. 

I dropped first, with my axe at the ready just in case it got too icy.  I had to make up for the hundreds of jackass snowboarders that side slip every good chute in the sidecountry.  I did have to break down and bust out the awesome 80s jump turns as it was far too narrow to be on snow, but I turned damnit!  Center slide line was a tad icy, but had good hold, newer snow on the sides was a bit gloppy, but there was minimal slough.  Overall good conditions for this time of year.  No trough down the center made the going easier also.

Once I got below the chockstone I waited for Theresa.  She decided to take a wiser approach to the entry and got in with a series of side steps and axe self belay moves.  Once she got down I took the lower section skiers left, the right side I've normally ridden was mostly rocks. 

The apron had new wet snow that was some of the stickiest I've ever seen in my life, glad we didn't set out for a 30 degree line.  At the bottom we stopped at a rock to eat lunch, just as it started to rain.  I ended up touring back out in nothing but hardshells and my underwear due to the heat and constant rain.  I love the northwest.

Oh and I forgot, I did take video with teletuby vision, when I get help from some techy minded friend later this week I'll post it up.

I thought everyone knew Lane!  Tatoosh.

Great writeup and shots. I love your comment about jackass sidecountry sideslippers.

me too, nice report as well.
b

Thanks guys!  Here is proof that only it was all about jump turns.  More 180s then you get in a park run.

Teletubbie POV video:
http://vimeo.com/94624530

Elliot knew he was capable of the line  but just was not feeling it and decided to ride out the col. 

The single best statement I have read on TAY or other sites.  Shows wisdom and rational decision making even in the face of the majority making a different decisions.  Well done, Elliot.  :)

Reply to this TR

may-3-14-lane-peak-zipper-couloir-video
ND
2014-05-05 09:23:57