Home > Trip Reports > Don't go to Muir, Sep 18

Don't go to Muir, Sep 18

9/15/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Paul Belitz on 9/18/05 7:07am
It really really sucks.  >:(
What, you don't believe me?

Ok, here's some photographic evidence.

The stuff above was no better.

At least we got September turns.

:-(

Still better than last September 18....

Geeeeez!  I'll take the outcome of last Sept. 18th any day over the choss in that picture.... 8)
Glad I bailed and rode my bike today!

We were up there yesterday.

A great and humorous group of people who actually made it quite the blast to "work" with the available conditions.

I say go to Muir, and expect to ski the funkiest conditions you can imagine: a patch of week-old snow here, glacial ice there, slush, runnels, man-eating crevasses, mud, gravel, scree, candy ice shell with flowing water beneath, stream beds cut into ice, mini flash floods, sun cups, micro mud flows forming tiny deltas before your eyes...  It's all there, you really couldn't ask for more...

I watched Mike ski on white-ish snow that compacted and left brown dirt tracks behind.  Turn after turn of snow turning to dirt.  You don't see that everyday!

So I trashed my skis on gravel, sand and mud.  I'd rather do that than rest them for the powder that is certain to begin falling soon.

Wow am I glad I was there last Sunday and not today, yikes!  Weather forecast is rainless for the next 10 days, too.

What is wrong with our youth today?  Everything "sucks".  It must be all that damn loud, unintelligible excuse for music they listen to nowadays, giving them such bad attitudes.  Oh and get to work, son!

I was with JibberD and group on the 18th that went to Muir.
      It was the most hideous skiing you can imagine.

It was  also one of the most fun and hilarious days I've ever had on skis.
The measure of a days's skiing IMO is not the quality of the snow , but the amount of fun you have. ;D
In that respect Muir on 9/18 was excellent. 8)

It can only get better ???  I was up with the crew on the 17th as well.  It sure as heck wasn't a great day, but it was a day.  I managed a few smiles and made a few turns not too bad for a September Saturday!  OH, I almost forgot the matching bruises on each hip ;D

Correction,as usual I got the date wrong, it was the 17th.
Participants where.

Scotsman
JibberD
MikeC
Alisa Siebert( First time, brought alpine skis, has been sucessfully converted and will be taking up backcountry skiing  and is now in the process of pouring over gear reviews and selecting equipment) ;)
Richard Siebert- Non-skiiing participant. Made it to 9,000 ft.
See it wasn't that bad if we managed to convince a newbee to spend  $1200 plus on a set-up. 8)

Compared to last year, I just want to cry.

It really really sucks.  >:(

i don't know what you're talking about.  looks good to me.  ;D

... so it's not as white as last year..  speaking of last year, this was Muir exactly one year ago.. 3k of pow!

...the funkiest conditions you can imagine: a patch of week-old snow here, glacial ice there, slush, runnels, man-eating crevasses, mud, gravel, scree, candy ice shell with flowing water beneath, stream beds cut into ice, mini flash floods, sun cups, micro mud flows forming tiny deltas before your eyes...It's all there, you really couldn't ask for more...

i agree, jibberd.  that is a perfect description!

now kam, do you have to make us all drool with those pictures from last year??  gosh!  anyway, i was up there yesterday along with the rest of the world, and despite the less-than-perfect conditions, it was still a blast.  kelvin, elli, cinnamon and i climbed to about 8700', and connected patches of the funked-ified snow all the way down to about 7300'. not too bad, it could have been worse, and the nice weather all day made it even better.  fun to run into all you other tay-ers too, seemed like our group continued to get larger all day!  all we needed to make the day complete was the ron j gang in the parking lot cookin' up the bbq.  8)

all we needed to make the day complete was the ron j gang in the parking lot cookin' up the bbq.  8)

Thanks Allyson, glad you all had a fun time on that funked-ified snow.  We were over yonder checking out some new territory for this next year's great snowpack we are going to have  ;D.  Would have been a perfect day for the "bar-b", but it's all put away until next summer  >:(.

Ah yes..same day last year was pretty darn epic.  If I remember correctly, there were 15 + of us random TAYers up on Muir the day Kam shot his photo (um, yeah, I hit that, too!).  Incredibly good memories-freaky to think about the conditions up on Muir now. I'm every hopeful this year is going to be great :)  

Can't wait to get out there for some more turns...maybe even this weekend?

Reply to this TR

don-t-go-to-muir-sep-18
Paul Belitz
2005-09-18 14:07:46