Home > Trip Reports > 3/30 - 4/5; Romsdalfjord, Norway (+Iceland)

3/30 - 4/5; Romsdalfjord, Norway (+Iceland)

3/30/14
Europe
Posted by Marcus on 4/29/14 8:25am
Last summer Andy, Mica, Anastasia and I had dinner with Martin and Gina Volken to talk about
Mica heading home on the slopes of Trolltinden

Fast forward nine months, my last two quarters of nursing school, graduation and licensure exams, and the four of us were on the plane to Oslo, land of Oyvind and his beautiful people. We landed hungry and wandered out to find food.  After eating at the Oslo equivalent of the 74th Street Alehouse and paying 1000 kroner ($170), we decided our remaining time in Oslo was diet and dry-out vacation.  Anastasia and I have never shared so many meals.

Oslo is a gorgeous, walking-friendly city, so we spent our days sleeping late, catching the last 15 minutes of the free breakfast and wandering around the town.  The Vigeland sculpture park, the Akershus fortress, the Vikingskiphuset - we connected them all with our feet, the bus network and frequent caffeination. 

The Angry Boy

Vigeland Park in the Frognerparken just north of downtown Oslo

Andy walking the walls of the Akershus Fortress

The view from Akershus and an unearthed Viking longboat

Posing with Oyvind's carved kin; learning Norwegian from the locals

On Saturday we left Oslo Central station for the airport where we met the other two clients, Brooke and Will.  Martin and Mike Hattrup were on the same flight, so the whole party arrived in Molde together.  Our skipper, Svein, picked us up at the airport in a rented van that would serve as our shuttle between the boat and the trailheads on ski days.  We drove to the docks and met the
The Framstig at dock in Andalsnes

She was built in 1914 in Risor and was eventually beached and left to rot, which is where she was when Svein and four of his friends found her in the mid-1970s.  They hoped to step masts and have themselves a quick sailboat, but it wasn't until five years later that the restoration was complete.  They put to sea and sailed around the world for the next two and a half years.  The stories from those adventures, along with the rest of Svein's 59 years on the planet, were the best and most abundant entertainment throughout the trip.

Up on deck - a gaff-rigged ketch with a single inboard engine

The salon with berths behind the bench; Custom gear drying station

Evening cruise

We cruised, wine and beer in hand, to a dock in Vestnes where we tied up for the evening.  With that, we settled into the rhythm of the trip:  Breakfast at seven for an eight o'clock departure, ski all day, lounge around the boat with a beverage of choice, eat dinner, sleep, repeat.  We spent a day in Vestnes, then sailed into Romsdalfjorden and tied up in Andalsnes for three nights.  Kirketaket (the Church Roof), Blaunebba (Blue Peak), Kaltinden (Cold Mountain), Grontinden (Green Mountain) and Trolltinden (Troll Mountain) provided a week's worth of fantastic touring.  Norway's snowpack was at a 180 year low, but that just meant we drove up the roads a little farther, or shouldered the skis for a few hundred more feet.  With fantastic weather the entire time, we harvested crusty corn, breakable corn, creamed corn and corn soup. 

Climbing to Kirketaket, the Church Roof

Guiding is serious business; Serious boot repair atop Blaunebba

The Troll Walls

Good times with good folks

Anastasia shredding the slopes of Trolltinden

The time spent not skiing was spent fishing, or napping, or eating cod and potatoes.  Or potatoes and cod.  Or whale.  But mostly potatoes and cod.  Turns out there are many ways to cook potatoes and cod and make it delicious.

http://www.turns-all-year.com/indexhp/TRimages/Norway/Sailing1.jpg" /> http://www.turns-all-year.com/indexhp/TRimages/Norway/TRPhotos32.jpg" /> http://www.turns-all-year.com/indexhp/TRimages/Norway/Shoulder.jpg" />
Appropriate weather layers; Anastasia exercising on the shrouds, then stretching the bionic shoulder

We were sad to leave at the end of the week, but you can't have the next adventure without finishing the one you're in the middle of, so we flew back to Oslo.  A strategic decision to slow the adjustment back to non-vacation life had us in Iceland for two nights.  We mourned the loss of our floating hotel with amazing geology, natural hot springs and a final donning of our (very stinky) ski boots to nab the first descent of a sweet Icelandic line, before the long flight home.  Awesome, awesome trip.

As long as the sun is shining, living on a boat is great!  Nearby Isfjorden has nice wooden camping huts otherwise.  Romsdal is a great destination, if the weather is bad, just drive east (like Washington) until you get into the rain shadow of Oppdal.  Nice job of picking plums with Martin and Mike.  Well earned vacation after the long haul to nursing certification.  Congrats!

In my current injured state, you are making me nostalgic for Blanebba, with views to all the other peaks you mentioned:  http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=13033.0 and a tour in drier Oppdal: http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=13031.0 (please delete if this is chest thumping, I just want to set a placeholder for Romsdal related topics.)

Lovely photos and trip. I used to dream of climbing the Troll Walls when I first heard of them. Now it's nice to see the pictures.

great trip report!  but this write up is missing something... bolt cutters... definitely bolt cutters.  ;)

Wow Marcus you've got me day-dreaming here at my work desk.  That looks like the best trip imaginable.  Your description of the adjustment off the boat sounds like a normal person's fantasy trip.  Fantastic adventure, thanks for sharing.

I like how you included small photos and big ones, neat trick.

Excellent report!

Now I'm just waiting for the other TR out of Norway from a certain splitboarder and tutu-wearing skier...

I liked the drying rack!  What an adventure - "Planes Trains and Automobiles" plus bus, yacht and skis.  Nice!

Thanks so much for sharing, Marcus! Awesome trip!

How great for Martin and Mike to have a super experienced, stellar crew like yourselves to call clients. Dream team.

AWESOME trip report Marcus! I must say I'm jealous of your adventures from a SAIL BOAT! It was so fun following your progress while you were out there, and stealing your ideas when we got out there ourselves.

author=pipedream link=topic=31598.msg132644#msg132644 date=1398885324">
Excellent report!

Now I'm just waiting for the other TR out of Norway from a certain splitboarder and tutu-wearing skier...

I have to say I'm a bit busy with work at the moment, but I've posted a few photos to my blog, and I promise a trip report will be forthcoming for you :) Thanks for the encouragement!

Norwegian Photos!

Reply to this TR

3-30-4-5-romsdalfjord-norway-iceland
Marcus
2014-04-29 15:25:16