Home > Forum > Why should I buy your backpack?

Why should I buy your backpack?

• runningclouds
  • [runningclouds]
More
24 Apr 2014 18:04 #221977 by runningclouds
Why should I buy your backpack? was created by runningclouds
I have had Arcteryx Needle 55+ pack for over 10 years now and it is becoming a bit unreliable. I am looking for something similar in size, maybe a little bit bigger. It has to carry skis and have a wet pocket for shovel, crampons and all that stuff. Any recommendations? Sell me on your backpack, why did you get it, what do you like/dislike about it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2014 18:41 #221979 by davidG
Replied by davidG on topic Re: Why should I buy your backpack?
you can't have it..   as a matter of fact, don't even look at it..  go away..

• runningclouds
  • [runningclouds]
More
28 Apr 2014 20:29 #222043 by runningclouds
Replied by runningclouds on topic Re: Why should I buy your backpack?
thanks for being frank, if we ever cross paths I will look away

More
29 Apr 2014 10:33 #222045 by davidG
Replied by davidG on topic Re: Why should I buy your backpack?
;D   when I first saw your thread I figured you wanted my well used and loved Arcteryx Borea or Dana Bridger, neither of which are still in production and no doubt hard to find used (even if you wanted one).  I appreciate the pain of coming to the end-of-life of a favorite piece of gear - the Dana is getting there (waterproofness), but otherwise bomber.  I like that one cuz it's iconic, Dana was innovative, he made 'em in Bozeman, had hypalon patches, a daisy chain and streamlined and gusseted external pockets. 'A' frame carry but diagonal not so good. Perfect size for day and a half outings.  Never been a fan of detachable lids (which it does not have) but a couple of times I've thought it might have been nice..

The Borea is the quintessential ski mountaineer's pack, made in Canada (not Sribanglaphillicaubabwe), and while it can be cinched up it's really too large as a day pack and serves well for 2-3 + days.  I'm still discovering new compartments.  Oversize (and 'neon' to see in low light) zipper handles for gloved access.  'Built-in'/removable insulated pad for sitting in snow.  Side and top access  main compartment.  Wet pocket / avy and pit gear.  Superior belt and harness.  I like the built-in probe sleeve and also wand pocket. Hypalon lined 'A' frame carry strap-downs with quick release buckles.  Dual daisy chain for rigging snoboard or any other external load.  Lots of nice touches.  info .

I don't get hung up on super light as I don't like the feel of the fabric and chintzy straps, belt, etc.  High end packs are getting expensive, but as always, there's a relationship there.

• danpeck
  • [danpeck]
More
29 Apr 2014 15:08 #222050 by danpeck
Replied by danpeck on topic Re: Why should I buy your backpack?
Based on your description of what you like, you should really try the new Gregory Targhee line. Solid build for skiing.

I tested those packs for the designer and liked everything but the ice axe carry system, which is why I haven't bought one. I'd go with the 45 L.

They do all forms of carry well, super comfy, best materials for long lasting, good design specific for skiing.

My personal preference in the winter is the Gregory Serrac 45, but it is no longer in production. My next favorite pack is the Cilogear 30L work sack. light weight, customizes easily.

I rather dislike BD packs, but that is me. I for some reason have never liked Arcteryx packs either. I like simplicity, comfort, and light.

• danpeck
  • [danpeck]
More
29 Apr 2014 15:11 #222051 by danpeck
Replied by danpeck on topic Re: Why should I buy your backpack?
Oh, you should put your eye on a very well thought out pack coming out this Fall by Cotopaxi

cotopaxi.com

The ski pack isn't up yet, but I have also tested this and it has the best ski carry system in my opinion. Is a clamshell zipper with 2 pockets (one for avy gear), that opens completely up so the access is good and it carry's super comfy.