telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/20/17, 06:44 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2014 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  April 2014 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  11-14 April Liberty Ridge with Partial Ski Descent
:
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  All | Go Down Print
Author Topic: 11-14 April Liberty Ridge with Partial Ski Descent  (Read 75842 times)
powscraper

Re: 11-14 April Liberty Ridge with Partial Ski Descent
« Reply #25 on: 04/22/14, 08:41 AM »

Nice looking adventure, looks difficult and exhausting. Prepare to be brutally second-guessed

The need for public management of public resources, vs. being routinely locked out of said public resources... What would John Muir do?

Can't wait to see how Fox News spins this :p
skykilo

« Reply #26 on: 04/22/14, 10:09 AM »

This trip report (these trip reports) now officially blow(s) my mind.  Kudos on wanting it that badly!   Wink Cheesy Grin

But there is a question I feel compelled to ask: do you normally carry bolt cutters in your vehicle?  I want more details.  Hacksaw?  I am truly curious.  In any situation where I've encountered such an obstacle, I've never had adequate tools with me.  (Not that I would ever do such a thing!  These days I am a letter-and-spirit of the law abiding prude who would not dare risk any type of legal consequence.)

Good job getting up and down that thing in one piece in conditions where I never would have considered descending it.

P.S. Did you see any of these while you were up there?

« Last Edit: 04/22/14, 10:27 AM by skykilo » Logged
Charlie Hagedorn

« Reply #27 on: 04/22/14, 11:08 AM »

It would appear that they did: https://plus.google.com/photos/+AlexLeone/albums/6002308739623361137/6002308748986636850

hedonaut

« Reply #28 on: 04/22/14, 02:00 PM »

The need for public management of public resources, vs. being routinely locked out of said public resources... What would John Muir do?

This is an interesting tension.  Restricted access to MRNP and the N Cascades sometimes seems to defy reason.

I can see why folks are getting their knickers in a twist about these guys breaking the law.  On the other hand, what damage has been done by a snowmobile on a snow-covered ROAD?  What's the motivation of the NP blocking access to reasonable use of a road, the same road that sees thousands of vehicles?

Is there a particular wildlife-related reason to limit noise on the road during winter?  Why not allow for a narrow slot for sleds to gain access?

Like Sky, I'm just curious--about this, as well as what motivated someone to "ski" that line in that condition.
dale_72
5Member

« Reply #29 on: 04/22/14, 02:21 PM »

Not trying to hurl accusations, but Kyle's post makes me wonder. I was up around Colchuck Lake on the weekend of this TR...

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=31381.0

... and parked at the gate closure at Bridge Creek CG on Saturday. On the way out Sunday we passed two vehicles parked pretty far up eight-mile road. I was confused but figured they knew something/someone we didn't because the gate was still closed.

Are you guys going to fess up to cutting this lock also?
drescj
5Member

« Reply #30 on: 04/22/14, 02:47 PM »

My impression from the TR was that the poster thought there would be snow at the gate, found none, and cut the lock to drive to where sledding was possible. Could be wrong.

One possible motivation for leaving gates locked would be to reduce damage to water-saturated roads in the spring until the road bed/surface can dry out.

If NPS and other agencies (USFS, etc) would explain their reasoning for locking off roads it would probably help alleviate the tension between agencies and communities such as ours.

BillK

« Reply #31 on: 04/22/14, 02:54 PM »

As far as I know, snowmobiling is very limited in the park...allowed on just a few stretches of snow-covered road.
Pete_H

« Reply #32 on: 04/22/14, 02:58 PM »

This is an interesting tension.  Restricted access to MRNP and the N Cascades sometimes seems to defy reason.

I can see why folks are getting their knickers in a twist about these guys breaking the law.  On the other hand, what damage has been done by a snowmobile on a snow-covered ROAD?  What's the motivation of the NP blocking access to reasonable use of a road, the same road that sees thousands of vehicles?

Is there a particular wildlife-related reason to limit noise on the road during winter?  Why not allow for a narrow slot for sleds to gain access?

Like Sky, I'm just curious--about this, as well as what motivated someone to "ski" that line in that condition.

I think most here are for having better access, and have been frustrated at some point by over-regulation and restricted access. Therefore, it's easy to look the other way if one of us were to say ski Rainier solo without the right permit or something. However, vandalism of government property and trespass are not productive for improving access for the backcountry and outdoor community in general. I also think it leaves a sour taste that these guys had a "the law doesn't apply to us" arrogance.
tabski

« Reply #33 on: 04/22/14, 03:09 PM »

What would John Muir do? He would be pissed they paved the road in the first place. He would keep the gates closed all year. He would walk the 15 miles in wearing wool pants and leather boots, sit in a tempest for hours to observe the glaciers, eat an apple and walk back out.

Though the closures can be frustrating, the footprint of your average American visitor is more so.

jwplotz

« Reply #34 on: 04/22/14, 03:56 PM »

Isn't Dave a federal employee?  I wonder how that factors into his decision, if at all?
Scotsman

« Reply #35 on: 04/22/14, 04:17 PM »

What would John Muir do? He would be pissed they paved the road in the first place. He would keep the gates closed all year. He would walk the 15 miles in wearing wool pants and leather boots, sit in a tempest for hours to observe the glaciers, eat an apple and walk back out.

Though the closures can be frustrating, the footprint of your average American visitor is more so.

Actually, the silly bugger would have "sauntered".
From his own words.

"One day as I was resting in the shade Mr. Muir overtook me on the trail and began to chat in that friendly way in which he delights to talk with everyone he meets. I said to him: "Mr. Muir, someone told me you did not approve of the word 'hike.' Is that so?" His blue eyes flashed, and with his Scotch accent he replied: "I don't like either the word or the thing. People ought to saunter in the mountains - not hike!

"Do you know the origin of that word 'saunter?' It's a beautiful word. Away back in the Middle Ages people used to go on pilgrimages to the Holy Land, and when people in the villages through which they passed asked where they were going, they would reply, "A la sainte terre,' 'To the Holy Land.' And so they became known as sainte-terre-ers or saunterers. Now these mountains are our Holy Land, and we ought to saunter through them reverently, not 'hike' through them."

Chief Etiquette Officer of TAY and TAY's #1 Poster
Poet Laureate of TAY.
Chairman and Founder of FOTAY( Friends of TAY)
Moderator of the moderators.
"Most Brilliant Move" of the 11/12 ski season
" Knows what he is talking about"
Expert Typist.
Crystal Whore
" Scotsman may be correct"....Mikerolfs
swaterfall
5Member

« Reply #36 on: 04/22/14, 04:18 PM »

This road and HWY 20 are open for snomo traffic all winter.  There are closures in effect during Spring periods when snow removal equipment is active.  I don't see that as overly restrictive.

If the NPS decides that they want to shut down access via snow parks because skiers and sledders completely disregard established regulations then that would be restrictive.

I think sledders in the NW do an excellent job of controlling violators within their group since access to fed lands is so important to them.  Skiers would do well to emulate that.
powscraper

« Reply #37 on: 04/22/14, 04:20 PM »

The Muir Games, sponsored by Patagonia's new line of woolies and Washington apples

The statistical and operational arguments for restriction are pretty solid on multiple levels. I had always been under the impression that the cool guys knew how to get keys and then didn't talk about it. I've never been that cool though.
Alex L
5Member

« Reply #38 on: 04/22/14, 04:27 PM »

Yeah, we saw a few big avalanches rip down the Willis Wall and few down the Liberty Wall.  Quite the sight, and you can hear them before you see them, so for a few frantic seconds you hope that it's not coming down on top of you (not that it would, since you are climbing a ridge).  The only thing that moved near us was maybe a few pebbles above Thumb Rock, and trying to dodge the dinner plates of ice when I was belaying Dave up the few pitches of glacier ice.
« Last Edit: 04/22/14, 04:35 PM by Alex L » Logged
aaron_wright

« Reply #39 on: 04/22/14, 05:32 PM »

Yeah, we saw a few big avalanches rip down the Willis Wall and few down the Liberty Wall.  Quite the sight, and you can hear them before you see them, so for a few frantic seconds you hope that it's not coming down on top of you (not that it would, since you are climbing a ridge).  The only thing that moved near us was maybe a few pebbles above Thumb Rock, and trying to dodge the dinner plates of ice when I was belaying Dave up the few pitches of glacier ice.
So what's the story with the gate on Eightmile?
hedonaut

« Reply #40 on: 04/22/14, 05:45 PM »

Thanks for the info. and entertaining replies.  Good points all.  Didn't know that snowmobile access was allowed, then temporarily cut off during the spring--interesting.  Back to my apples.
dave095790

« Reply #41 on: 04/22/14, 06:05 PM »

So what's the story with the gate on Eightmile?

I'm not sure what the story is.  But, if you will feel better about everything, I will take credit for it.  Let's move on. 
aaron_wright

« Reply #42 on: 04/22/14, 06:09 PM »

Thanks for the info. and entertaining replies.  Good points all.  Didn't know that snowmobile access was allowed, then temporarily cut off during the spring--interesting.  Back to my apples.
Snowmobiles are only allowed on 410 until the White River Rd. not allowed past or on the White River Rd. These guys should be in jail.
« Last Edit: 04/22/14, 06:13 PM by aaron_wright » Logged
dave095790

« Reply #43 on: 04/22/14, 06:18 PM »

Snowmobiles are only allowed on 410 until the White River Rd. not allowed past or on the White River Rd. These guys should be in jail.

"Snowmobiles are permitted on the 12-mile section of unplowed road from the north park boundary on Highway 410 to the White River Campground. Snowmobiles may not continue on Hwy 410 south of the White River Road turnoff. They are also prohibited from proceeding beyond the closure at the White River Campground road junction towards Sunrise. Snowmobiles must stay on the road corridor; they are not allowed to proceed beyond the campground towards Glacier Basin. Be aware of avalanche danger and the weather forecast. "
-http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/winter-recreation.htm#CP_JUMP_147158

I think you misread the statement online. 
aaron_wright

« Reply #44 on: 04/22/14, 07:01 PM »

"Snowmobiles are permitted on the 12-mile section of unplowed road from the north park boundary on Highway 410 to the White River Campground. Snowmobiles may not continue on Hwy 410 south of the White River Road turnoff. They are also prohibited from proceeding beyond the closure at the White River Campground road junction towards Sunrise. Snowmobiles must stay on the road corridor; they are not allowed to proceed beyond the campground towards Glacier Basin. Be aware of avalanche danger and the weather forecast. "
-http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/winter-recreation.htm#CP_JUMP_147158

I think you misread the statement online. 

Yes, you are right. You should still be in jail. What made you think it was ok to cut the lock and drive until you hit snow and then unload your sleds and and continue? This sets a really bad example for sledders and skiers.

Did you cut the lock on Eightmile or do you have a key?
aaron_wright

« Reply #45 on: 04/22/14, 07:27 PM »

Isn't Dave a federal employee?  I wonder how that factors into his decision, if at all?
Maybe he's a SEAL and has his get out of jail free card?!
water
5Member

« Reply #46 on: 04/22/14, 08:19 PM »

jail huh? you'd rather pay ~$128/day as a taxpayer to have him in jail? Certainly cutting down multiple trees in the north cascades should warrant lots of 'jail' if cutting a $5 lock does.

What is the rationale behind having a road gated in the middle of winter? Or closed when there isn't avalanche risk..  Roll Eyes

If someone rode around into glacier basin or into wilderness area i would be irate, and am when they do (mt. Adams...Badger creek wilderness by Mt. Hood). But on a road they're otherwise allowed to be on... what is the justification for having it closed?
Jonn-E

« Reply #47 on: 04/22/14, 10:57 PM »

These guys should be in jail.

I thought if someone did something disagreeable in this country we just took them out back and shot them?  Roll Eyes
aaron_wright

« Reply #48 on: 04/23/14, 06:30 AM »

Jail would be a bit harsh and expensive, it's more the sentiment. They basically got away with a slap on the wrist. I see this as a slap in the face to sledders and bc skiers as a group, it gives us all a bad name.

What if everyone decided to bend or break the law just because they really wanted to do something and had been planning on it? I'd love to ride my mtb in parts of the Wilderness, should I just go ahead and do it? After all having some of those trails closed to bikes is silly, right? What about riding my sled to Sunrise? That would be fun too what's the harm?
tabski

« Reply #49 on: 04/23/14, 07:50 AM »

Jack: Well, then, I confess: It is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer me weaselly black guts out.
Murtogg: I said no lies!
Mullroy: I think he's telling the truth.
Murtogg: If he were telling the truth, he wouldn't have told us.
Jack: Unless of course he knew you wouldn't believe the truth, even if he told you.
« Last Edit: 04/23/14, 09:19 AM by tabski » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  All | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.