telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/22/17, 07:48 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2014 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  April 2014 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  11-14 April Liberty Ridge with Partial Ski Descent
:
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All | Go Down Print
Author Topic: 11-14 April Liberty Ridge with Partial Ski Descent  (Read 75861 times)
LukerBee
5Member

Re: 11-14 April Liberty Ridge with Partial Ski Descent
« Reply #125 on: 04/30/14, 11:11 AM »

So I toured Pilchuck with Dave yesterday – only on the ride home did I learn of his TAY celebrity stature. He shared the whole story with me. When I got home I read this thread.

Was posting the report chest beating / bragging? I do not think so. Dave is pretty modest low-key guy.

Were logistics poorly planned? As it relates to NPS access regulations, yes. The mountaineering part seemed pretty well thought through – but what do I know.

Wrong to cut the lock? He should not have done it. He knows it. I probably would have made that decision 20 years ago at that age. I think he learned from the experience.

Premeditated Offense: No. He carries a lot of gear in his rig.

Lock cutting penalty: I guess they let him off easy because he was truthful and introspective with NPS as he as with me.

Too dangerous? I am not qualified to answer that. Seems straight out crazy to me. As do many of the tours on here.

Was it skiing? I am on a splitboard. I tour to shred, not ice climb. So I guess I really don’t care.
aaron_wright

« Reply #126 on: 04/30/14, 08:21 PM »

Interesting, he sent me a pm asking me to stop posting and said that the plan had been to cut the lock, hence the carrying of bolt cutters. The naivete of posters and people in general is astounding.

So I toured Pilchuck with Dave yesterday – only on the ride home did I learn of his TAY celebrity stature. He shared the whole story with me. When I got home I read this thread.

Was posting the report chest beating / bragging? I do not think so. Dave is pretty modest low-key guy.

Were logistics poorly planned? As it relates to NPS access regulations, yes. The mountaineering part seemed pretty well thought through – but what do I know.

Wrong to cut the lock? He should not have done it. He knows it. I probably would have made that decision 20 years ago at that age. I think he learned from the experience.

Premeditated Offense: No. He carries a lot of gear in his rig.

Lock cutting penalty: I guess they let him off easy because he was truthful and introspective with NPS as he as with me.

Too dangerous? I am not qualified to answer that. Seems straight out crazy to me. As do many of the tours on here.

Was it skiing? I am on a splitboard. I tour to shred, not ice climb. So I guess I really don’t care.

LukerBee
5Member

« Reply #127 on: 04/30/14, 08:48 PM »

You may be wright or you may be wrong   Cool
Jonn-E

« Reply #128 on: 04/30/14, 10:01 PM »

It is genuinely interesting to read the different responses between this forum and the identical post on CC.com.  Really shows that there are some cultural differences between those who climb to ski and those who climb to climb.
BrianT

« Reply #129 on: 05/01/14, 02:37 PM »

You may be wright or you may be wrong   Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cih0btgJw8s
ski2fly

« Reply #130 on: 05/01/14, 05:59 PM »

Fair enough. But mountaineering, yes. Ski mountaineering (or ski alpinism), no.
Splitting hairs there. I will bet they enjoyed the whole thing. I suppose if you went on the same trip then you would have had 1/2 an adventure +/-.
freeski

« Reply #131 on: 05/02/14, 05:29 PM »

It is genuinely interesting to read the different responses between this forum and the identical post on CC.com.  Really shows that there are some cultural differences between those who climb to ski and those who climb to climb.
yea I read that after reading your post. Seems there was a lot of talk about rap systems and rope. Skiers be crazy though. I've seen photos of skiers descending slopes that climbers are roped up on. I know from some of my own exposed, ropeless, gripped ascents that as soon as I click into my skis, I feel better.

"I'm not making love to anyones wishes, only for that light I see." Cat Stevens
Jonn-E

« Reply #132 on: 05/05/14, 07:45 AM »

The deep focus on the technical over at CC.com was part of it, but I also noted that the average response here was "respect authority" while over at CC.com the average response was more "screw the park".  That to me is an interesting cultural grouping that I would not have guessed existed before this thread/large-scale social experiment. Perhaps climbers (particularly older ones) are more used to breaking the rules to in order to access a line?
BillK

« Reply #133 on: 05/05/14, 08:37 AM »

^^^^Inherent differences between the sports? Rugged individualists?  Age differences?  Other demographic differences?
avajane

« Reply #134 on: 05/05/14, 09:35 AM »

From an old climber......Most climbers are skiers but most skiers are not climbers. I'm sure, in general, most climbers are less apt to be joiners and are not as likely to follow direction as well. The technical discussions about rap systems on cc was for the most part because the set ups in the pictures were not what they were used to - perhaps because they came from back east. People are people though, and there were plenty on cc who said "not cool".

Brian Izdepski, Facebook TAY
BillK

« Reply #135 on: 05/05/14, 10:25 AM »

Most climbers are skiers but most skiers are not climbers. ..... People are people though, and there were plenty on cc who said "not cool".

True on both counts.
freeski

« Reply #136 on: 05/05/14, 12:30 PM »

I also noted that the average response here was "respect authority" while over at CC.com the average response was more "screw the park".
another factor going on at TAY may be tribal. The new guy did not respect the efforts of those few here at TAY who have been challenging authority, on our behalf, concerning access rights to the park. 

BillK

« Reply #137 on: 05/05/14, 01:40 PM »

Good point.  Not that he intentionally disrespected them, but his actions undermined their efforts.  I agree...
freeski

« Reply #138 on: 05/05/14, 03:40 PM »

Not that he intentionally disrespected them, but his actions undermined their efforts. 

yes. I agree.

wooley12

« Reply #139 on: 05/25/14, 12:11 AM »

Better that I discovered this thread AFTER I lent them my pulk.  Looking forward to their next TR.

Godspeed gentleman.

The stem christie is a legitimate backcountry turn
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.