Home > Forum > Mt. St. Helens from Red Rock Pass??

Mt. St. Helens from Red Rock Pass??

• dfhkvs
  • [dfhkvs]
More
23 Apr 2014 15:03 #221963 by dfhkvs
Mt. St. Helens from Red Rock Pass?? was created by dfhkvs
Has anyone skied this? Not from Marble Mtn, not from Climber's Bivi, but from Red Rock Pass (a bit past the turnoff to Climber's Bivy; pass is at 3000').

Looks like a nice line up SW aspect to 'true' summit. But, I can't find ANY reports (hiking or skiing) of people going that way.

Dave.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Amar Andalkar
  • [andalkar]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
23 Apr 2014 15:52 #221964 by Amar Andalkar
Replied by Amar Andalkar on topic Re: Mt. St. Helens from Red Rock Pass??
I've skied via Redrock Pass up the southwest slope (Dryer Glacier) route 3 times, once in April 2004 ( see TR ) and twice last year (January and April 2013). Should have written TRs for both of those trips, they were great, but just did not happen to write anything afterwards.

There's no point in going anywhere near Butte Camp for a ski trip (although the summer trail from Redrock Pass and the rarely-done climbing route above goes that way). Just park at Cougar Sno-Park at 2280 ft (or beyond if the gate is open), follow the road FR 81 to Redrock Pass and the trailhead sign, ascend onto the toe of the lava flow, and follow an obvious path along the right (east) edge of the lava flow north about a half mile to a large open area. This route works best when there is at least a few feet of snow on the ground.

This area had changed substantially between 2004 and 2013, and that open clearing is apparently a mudflow produced by the record-setting November 2006 floods, brought on by 37" of rain at Mount Saint Helens in 3 days. Continue north through the open area to an obvious gully, follow it to treeline and then up open slopes directly to the true summit.

This route is longer and has more vert than the standard Worm Flows route from Marble Mountain Sno-Park, but the road is nicely groomed in winter. By the time the gate opens in spring and one can drive past Cougar Sno-Park, the snowpack in the woods near Redrock Pass may be getting a bit too thin for easy travel.

• dfhkvs
  • [dfhkvs]
More
23 Apr 2014 23:23 #221967 by dfhkvs
Replied by dfhkvs on topic Re: Mt. St. Helens from Red Rock Pass??
So, basically this drainage? Seems like a clear path to follow.

I've skied via Redrock Pass up the southwest slope (Dryer Glacier) route 3 times, once in April 2004 ( see TR ) and twice last year (January and April 2013). Should have written TRs for both of those trips, they were great, but just did not happen to write anything afterwards.

There's no point in going anywhere near Butte Camp for a ski trip (although the summer trail from Redrock Pass and the rarely-done climbing route above goes that way). Just park at Cougar Sno-Park at 2280 ft (or beyond if the gate is open), follow the road FR 81 to Redrock Pass and the trailhead sign, ascend onto the toe of the lava flow, and follow an obvious path along the right (east) edge of the lava flow north about a half mile to a large open area. This route works best when there is at least a few feet of snow on the ground.

This area had changed substantially between 2004 and 2013, and that open clearing is apparently a mudflow produced by the record-setting November 2006 floods, brought on by 37" of rain at Mount Saint Helens in 3 days. Continue north through the open area to an obvious gully, follow it to treeline and then up open slopes directly to the true summit.

This route is longer and has more vert than the standard Worm Flows route from Marble Mountain Sno-Park, but the road is nicely groomed in winter. By the time the gate opens in spring and one can drive past Cougar Sno-Park, the snowpack in the woods near Redrock Pass may be getting a bit too thin for easy travel.

Attachments:

More
24 Apr 2014 10:21 #221968 by freshie
Replied by freshie on topic Re: Mt. St. Helens from Red Rock Pass??
A long time ago I skied a route starting from near what is now the Blue Lake trailhead on FS Road 8123 (some miles past Red Rock Pass). We travelled one-half-mile E-SE through mostly open forest (some mild BS involved) until reaching the drainage identified by your arrow (near the base of the arrow). Easy going all the way to the summit from there.

Our late-April/early May timing had us driving to the trailhead, bare ground in the forest, and then snow all the way up the mountain. I see from FS maps and satellite that there are trails in the area, so it may be possible to follow those and avoid any cross-country travel.

• dfhkvs
  • [dfhkvs]
More
24 Apr 2014 10:35 #221969 by dfhkvs
Thanks, in looking at the satellite image, I think that the drainage you describe is the next one NW of the one I show. Sorry, my picture is pretty zoomed in. 1/2 mi from Blue Lake would put you in a drainage / wash that looks to go on the NW side of that large butte; the wash in my picture is to the SE. I appreciate the reply and information. I think this looks like a really nice aspect of the mountain to ski!

A long time ago I skied a route starting from near what is now the Blue Lake trailhead on FS Road 8123 (some miles past Red Rock Pass). We travelled one-half-mile E-SE through mostly open forest (some mild BS involved) until reaching the drainage identified by your arrow (near the base of the arrow). Easy going all the way to the summit from there.

Our late-April/early May timing had us driving to the trailhead, bare ground in the forest, and then snow all the way up the mountain. I see from FS maps and satellite that there are trails in the area, so it may be possible to follow those and avoid any cross-country travel.

• OldHouseMan
  • [OldHouseMan]
More
24 Apr 2014 17:59 #221976 by OldHouseMan
Replied by OldHouseMan on topic Re: Mt. St. Helens from Red Rock Pass??
I've been curious about skiing this side of the mountain. I assume the same permit system and quotas apply to the west side routes as the south side routes?

• dfhkvs
  • [dfhkvs]
More
24 Apr 2014 18:17 #221978 by dfhkvs
Yes. Permits are for above 4800', not for any particular route.
D.

More
25 Apr 2014 10:44 #221987 by freshie
You are quite right, the drainage we followed is off your picture to the west. Anyway it is a nice quiet side of the mountain. It softens later in the day too, so good for hot days/later starts.

Thanks, in looking at the satellite image, I think that the drainage you describe is the next one NW of the one I show. Sorry, my picture is pretty zoomed in. 1/2 mi from Blue Lake would put you in a drainage / wash that looks to go on the NW side of that large butte; the wash in my picture is to the SE. I appreciate the reply and information. I think this looks like a really nice aspect of the mountain to ski!

More
25 Apr 2014 10:48 #221988 by freshie

I've been curious about skiing this side of the mountain. I assume the same permit system and quotas apply to the west side routes as the south side routes?

They do. But you'll see far fewer people, of all types, on the west side.  ;)