Home > Trip Reports > April 16, 2014, - Mt. Shasta

April 16, 2014, - Mt. Shasta

4/16/14
US elsewhere
Posted by Zap on 4/21/14 1:20pm
We had spent the night in Redding so our Mt. Shasta arrival was with a late morning start.  We drove the Everitt Memorial Highway to Bunny Flats at 6900'.  Only 7 cars were in the parking area. There was only a small snow bank to climb to start skinning.  I have climbed and skied Mt. Shasta for 15 years, but have only seen a small part of the mountain.  Brent Hoestetler and I climbed and summited it in late May 1999, and the snow pack was much larger.  Jill and I headed toward Green Butte.  We arrived too late to ski Sun Bowl as it was too risky due to the sun exposure.  The open slopes below Green Butte going west were great fun.  We arrived at the trees and skied south and southwest. The tree skiing was OK on the steep slope, but when the slope opened you could just cruise.  From the lower slope it was a long traverse west to reach the van.  Or you can reach the road and ski back to the parking lot. The snow cover in the trees is less than previous years here (not surprising with CA's drought).  We used ski crampons in the steeper treed area for a short while.  Telemack, the area where we camped with you and your wife does not have any snow. :)
Thanks for the snow report.  You are quite the dapper pair in your spring outfits ;D
I hope there will be something left in June.  Did you see Thielson or Crater Lake in your wanders?

Green with envy, just getting out and seeing the other side of the mountain.  We really had a great time there last year, and thought Mt Shasta (the town)  was a great place as well.

author=telemack link=topic=31524.msg132258#msg132258 date=1398225541]
Thanks for the snow report.  You are quite the dapper pair in your spring outfits ;D
I hope there will be something left in June.  Did you see Thielson or Crater Lake in your wanders?

No info on Thielson or Crater Lake. The areas near Bachelor have more snow and the highway opens around Memorial holiday.

Hope ypu peg your fun meter it looks like your on it.

Reply to this TR

april-16-2014-mt-shasta
Zap
2014-04-21 20:20:41