Home > Trip Reports > April 21, 2014, Mt Pilchuck

April 21, 2014, Mt Pilchuck

4/21/14
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by silaswild on 4/21/14 11:20am
Against the forecast I decided to head for Pilchuck because the group sounded Superfun, well as fun as a group without girls can be.  :(   Skinning 1200-130pm we found nice corn conditions with 1/2" ski and pole penetration on a firm base.  Skiing NE and E slopes was 1/2" penetration to 4500' then 3" down to 3700' under mostly sunny skies.  What a pleasant surprise, again proving you don't know if you don't go.  Plenty of nice smooth snow up high, but there are already melted out areas on the way below 4000'.  We were able to drive to within half a mile of the trailhead.
https://vimeo.com/92678389

Just before our final ski down NW slopes a fog rolled in and at about 4800' I inadvertently hucked 20', yikes.  Just as the kids say I did not get hurt in the air, but wow landing on my face and then beacon was painful.  My breath was knocked out of me.  Fortunately we had a strong crew who took very good care getting me back to the cars.  Old people should ski slower in bad visibility, eh?

Turns out the landing cracked three ribs.  Shoulda had some girls on the tour to keep me safe.  Don't wear a beacon on your chest if you plan to huck air and fall on it. Bad luck to have an accident but good luck being able to ski out and having such solid friends.  Thank you.
So glad it was only ribs Silas.  Heal quick man!!  Fun day and great to meet you all.  We'll keep the skis on the snow next time eh?

Ouch, holy crap Silas.  Glad it wasn't worse and you made it out okay.  Did you at least get a little daffy-twister-spread in there?

Whoa - hope the Doctors Wild are taking good care of you.

author=silaswild link=topic=31518.msg132173#msg132173 date=1398133237]Old people should ski slower in bad visibility, eh?

Perhaps everyone should ski slowly in bad visibility?

From Jeff's video, it looks like there are plenty of rollers that hide big drops on the NW side?

author=Charlie Hagedorn link=topic=31518.msg132219#msg132219 date=1398195923]
Perhaps everyone should ski slowly in bad visibility?
Quoted for truth.

Ditto on being glad you only cracked a few ribs, Silas. That sounds like there was medevac potential had that gone slightly differently.

You should stay away from people who make you laugh for a few weeks.  ;)

Get well soon Silas! There is still skiing to be done ;)

It all started out so well ...

The Gunsight

The Choke

This is what happens when you ski without your senior sitters man!

Note ski track leading to take-off point

Superficial scratch from broken sunglasses might result in cool scar.

Glad you are basically OK. Don't laugh too much and keep up the deep breathing.

Nice set of 11s off of your take off! If only you could have stomped it! Maybe don't go for the Daffy-Quad twister- Spread eagle next time? Get well soon, so we can go back up there and get a shot of you in the air ;) KAW!

Ahhh Silas, you crazy dude! Next we'll see you in the terrain park with your doo rag! Hope the ribs are healing - lucky you have some Nurse Betty's in your household to take care of you! As for touring Betty's, I'll happily senior sit at anytime! As long as I don't bust in on the bromance between you and Timbat!

Good luck Silas.  Hope you are ready for the spring-skiing-lap-sitting-season in June.

Glad to hear you made it out on your feet, Silas! Hope you heal up quickly.

Here is a vid from the day
http://youtu.be/ThzIES6yCAw

Silas, glad you're not hurt worse!  I hope you're out there again soon.

Thanks for an example of the dangers of beacons!  A stud finder would have been just as bad. 

author=silaswild link=topic=31518.msg132173#msg132173 date=1398133237]
Shoulda had some girls on the tour to keep me safe. 

True, Silas, we old broads will get you into trouble every time :)  At least now I know how to identify you on the mountain.  I will look for the older gentleman with the very nice smile and scar face.  Hope you heal quickly & well!

:)   ---     :'(

So sorry you got hurt! Proud of you for skiing out with the injury.  Ug, speedy recovery to you.

dang Silas, rest and heal up well !

Silas-Glad you survived your flight.  Very sorry to hear of the cracked ribs, but glad it is not worse.  Get well soon so you can post more of those great reports.  Duane and Beth Carlson

Silas,

Your landing site was softer than the alternatives. There are numerous products that can protect parts of your body. Due to my back  surgery, I wear a Salomon Flexcell Back Protector when touring and downhill skiing.  I have seen young folks  with protectors in the terrain parks.  I have seen a few folks wearing a rib protector. We have changed as we have aged.  You are still a younger skier compared to me.  ;)

Zap

Desperate times call for desperate measures:  my Japanese senior sitting physical therapist suggested this to improve my skiing and get me back sooner.  Hope it helps!

score! on the pink flip-flops.  What's that on your big toe, a japanese fog monster?

We need a Snoqualmie report, and the TR's are blank.  except for that bolt-cutting ice-tromping one, which seems to be growing by the hour... it's a manly thing.

hope you get well soon!

Sorry to miss your injury and glad it wasn't worse. You weren't lying about that 20 feet! Quite the photo evidence of too much speed in bad light! Last year I told an old friend that I had caught big air and he just looked at me and said "flat light?"

Like Charlie said, we are all too old to jump in the backcountry in the fog. The good news is that you will give your sore knee some time off! See you at Sunrise.

author=JimD link=topic=31518.msg132253#msg132253 date=1398218457]

The Choke

First, congrats on getting out safely, and hope you heal up well. Thanks for the TR.

Secondly, I'm familiar with a lot of the Pilchuck area, but this is the first I've heard of "The Choke"....can anyone point me to where that is?

"The Choke" (following our gun parts naming) is just south of the Gunsight facing north (same as gunsight). The pic is taken from the basin below The Gunsight.

Fantastic; looking forward to checking it out. Thanks!

Three broken ribs?  Is that all?!

Get back out there, slacker!

hey neighbor, me and q will be the desired uphill speed you'll want when that time resumes, the down is all you to control.

It appears that Silas's recovery is going swimmingly.
(Sorry about the blurry pic. It was hard to stay focused)

I need to break some ribs!

Just skied a couple lift runs to close Alpental for the season today, no rib discomfort until I sat down afterward, odd injury with long recovery I hear.  

May 11 update:  here's shred hucking like me, but with a better landing.

Going to Pilchuck on Friday to investigate Silas's Jump Turn. ;)

Reply to this TR

april-21-2014-mt-pilchuck
silaswild
2014-04-21 18:20:37