Home > Trip Reports > April 20, 2014, Tatoosh Range, Castle

April 20, 2014, Tatoosh Range, Castle

4/20/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by truthlives on 4/21/14 2:08am
Had a late night but new snow, new gear, some optimism and a few hours to kill before dinner obligations motivated me to make the drive down.

NPS has plowed Stevens Canyon Road but the overnight snowfall made for a quick road approach. Thanks to those who set the skin track up towards Castle.

Obvious wind sculpting visible on the drive up and 6+€ of dense, wet pow down low on the way up, wind packed pow up high. Hand pits near/above the treeline confirmed the presence of a potentially reactive wind slab, although jumping on isolated rollovers produced no results. In any case, I stuck to low angle terrain.

Descended at noon. A little grabby up top but probably would have been really enjoyable if I wasn€™t make my first turns on the lightest setup I€™ve skied since I was 12 year old. Would have lapped the upper half if I had more time. Mashed potatoes down low and the trees had shed most of their snow. Pinwheels and point releases visible everywhere so I stuck to the trees for the return to the car and made it to dinner almost on time.
Looks cool THANKS!!

Reply to this TR

april-20-2014-tatoosh-range-castle
truthlives
2014-04-21 09:08:19