Home > Forum > New tele binding...

New tele binding...

• Erased
  • [klw]
More
20 Apr 2014 12:21 - 22 Mar 2018 22:29 #221916 by Erased
New tele binding... was created by Erased
Erased

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikerolfs
  • [mikerolfs]
More
20 Apr 2014 15:51 #221919 by mikerolfs
Replied by mikerolfs on topic Re: New tele binding...
That looks pretty sweet. I didn't quite understand how you would put it in tour mode unless the heel lifter is up.

More
21 Apr 2014 08:22 #221929 by md2020
Replied by md2020 on topic Re: New tele binding...

I didn't quite understand how you would put it in tour mode unless the heel lifter is up.

I wonder if it is somehow able to lock in the down position for tour mode.

• runningclouds
  • [runningclouds]
More
21 Apr 2014 14:54 #221933 by runningclouds
Replied by runningclouds on topic Re: New tele binding...
Interesting. I wonder if this could work with Dynafit heel for a hybrid tele/AT binding?

More
21 Apr 2014 17:36 #221940 by rlsg
Replied by rlsg on topic Re: New tele binding...
Will it go in "free-hinge" touring mode like AT?

• lrudholm
  • [lrudholm]
More
21 Apr 2014 19:08 #221941 by lrudholm
Replied by lrudholm on topic Re: New tele binding...
Now we just need the lightweight boots to match. Leather doesn't count.

More
22 Apr 2014 18:28 #221960 by davidG
Replied by davidG on topic Re: New tele binding...
Pretty interesting if it works as planned.  Seems Kenji isn't the only one who's been working on it..  Fair gap between CAD rendering and the April 16 Youtube prototype vid.  Will be surprise if he makes his fall 2014 production version debut, but he's not wasting any time - his website is under construction, and he fired up a twitter feed on Sunday which might be worth following.  Some links to reviewer testing and other chatter sites found there. 

Will also be interesting to see if he 'sells out' soon.  I might be interested if I was Rott, BD etc.

• danpeck
  • [danpeck]
More
28 Apr 2014 19:48 #222040 by danpeck
Replied by danpeck on topic Re: New tele binding...
Ha! I just invested in TTS after a couple years of deliberation and sort of giving up hope. This will be good to watch and I'll definitely be buying this if it tours well and easily.

Amen on the boot innovation being next. TLT 6 with a flexible bellows.

• mikerolfs
  • [mikerolfs]
More
28 Apr 2014 20:28 #222042 by mikerolfs
Replied by mikerolfs on topic Re: New tele binding...

TLT 6 with a flexible bellows.

and a version with a duck-butt.

• Big Steve
  • [Big Steve]
More
01 May 2014 12:59 - 01 May 2014 13:03 #222068 by Big Steve
Replied by Big Steve on topic Re: New tele binding...
I see he's using the Plum toe, which has a history of shear failures at the toe wing/toe pin interface.

TLT 6 with a flexible bellows.

Well, then it wouldn't be a TLT6.  ;)  Adding a bellows would completely change the boot, add weight and reduce stiffness.  The essential problem with lightweight tele is that stiff-soled AT boots can always be made lighter than boots with a flexible sole, and a binding for stiff-soled AT boots can always be made lighter than an active tele binding.

FWIW, I'm using TLT6Ms in TTS bindings on one of my fat fishscale rigs (Vector BC).  Working great, allows me to skin in full free tech-toe tour mode, ski downhill with near AT binding performance, and allows me to shuffle around on the fishscales with a bit heel lift in TTS downhill mode.  It's by far the best billygoating setup I've ever used.  I plan to do the same on my other fat fishscale rig (Charger BC).

• danpeck
  • [danpeck]
More
01 May 2014 13:47 #222069 by danpeck
Exactly. It would be a tele TLT 6 ;D

More
03 Oct 2014 02:52 #222740 by davidG
Replied by davidG on topic Re: New tele binding...
He takes another run at building buzz.. Got the email tonight and a fresh tweet. In stores this November... Meidjo . Seems to be the production model. Not finding info elsewheres

More
08 Oct 2014 10:16 #222752 by RossB
Replied by RossB on topic Re: New tele binding...

it'd be pointless to use the tech toe if you didn't get the full ROM and zero resistance while skinning that dynafiddlers have been enjoying for years.

I think it is a lot more important to have that range of movement with an A. T. boot, versus a telemark boot. If you can bend your foot at the metatarsal, then you don't need as much of a range. You do have to have some, but not as much (cross country ski bindings specifically put in bumpers to limit the range). From what I can tell, the bindings on my skinny skis allow about 45 degrees of movement.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
08 Oct 2014 11:47 #222755 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: New tele binding...

I think it is a lot more important to have that range of movement with an A. T. boot, versus a telemark boot. If you can bend your foot at the metatarsal, then you don't need as much of a range. You do have to have some, but not as much (cross country ski bindings specifically put in bumpers to limit the range). From what I can tell, the bindings on my skinny skis allow about 45 degrees of movement.

Seems like a statement from some one that has never used a free pivot touring binding...   When I first tried Voile Switchbacks it was a real eye-opener.    Another major advance in AT boots in the last few years that tele boots haven't picked up is greatly increased ankle rotation during tour mode.  Comparing my latest AT setup with my Scarpa T2 + 3 Pin cable setup -- my stride length is almost double.

Scarpa has a much improved heel lock mechanism in their Mastrale -- which they haven't gotten around to incorporating into their NTN and 75MM telemark boots, also the Mastrale is a ~400 gr lighter than the current T1 and 100 gr lighter than current T2 -- I conclude that Scarpa isn't investing in telemark anymore.

• danpeck
  • [danpeck]
More
08 Oct 2014 11:59 #222756 by danpeck

I conclude that Scarpa isn't investing in telemark anymore.

I agree with that. No one is seriously investing in tele anymore. They have what they need to build better lighter boots but they don't.

In my opinion the OR industry is killing telemark… and on purpose!

More
08 Oct 2014 13:48 #222758 by RossB

Seems like a statement from some one that has never used a free pivot touring binding...   

I have, but with A. T. boots. It was OK, but I found the whole process frustrating. I come from a cross country ski background, and the lack of a bumper, and lack of metatarsal flex made the whole thing ridiculously slow and awkward. I'm sure with bellows it would have been better, but again, cross country bindings purposely limit the movement. It would be much simpler, and lighter, to simply do away with the bumper. But they don't because it isn't necessary, or ideal, to push your foot back that far.

More
08 Oct 2014 13:59 #222759 by RossB

I see he's using the Plum toe, which has a history of shear failures at the toe wing/toe pin interface.
Well, then it wouldn't be a TLT6.  ;)  Adding a bellows would completely change the boot, add weight and reduce stiffness.  The essential problem with lightweight tele is that stiff-soled AT boots can always be made lighter than boots with a flexible sole, and a binding for stiff-soled AT boots can always be made lighter than an active tele binding.

FWIW, I'm using TLT6Ms in TTS bindings on one of my fat fishscale rigs (Vector BC).  Working great, allows me to skin in full free tech-toe tour mode, ski downhill with near AT binding performance, and allows me to shuffle around on the fishscales with a bit heel lift in TTS downhill mode.  It's by far the best billygoating setup I've ever used.  I plan to do the same on my other fat fishscale rig (Charger BC).

An A. T. boot and binding will always be lighter than a Telemark boot and binding for the reasons you mention, but that doesn't mean that telemark can't be much better, and approach the weight of A. T. The main advantage of telemark is that you can bend the metatarsal while touring and while making a really cool turn :). Transitions might be easier as well (although that varies quite a bit depending on the binding and which way you are transitioning). There will always be a weight penalty for those who choose telemark, but there is no practical reason (only a marketing reason) why the penalty is so big.

A big reason for that is racing, of course. Put someone on the pedestal holding your equipment and you can sell a bunch of gear. The same thing happens in cross country skiing. The lightest, skinniest skis (the ones they race in the Olympics) keep getting better, but more middle of the road gear (like NNN/SNS BC gear) progresses far more slowly.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
08 Oct 2014 14:21 #222760 by Randito

I have, but with A. T. boots. It was OK, but I found the whole process frustrating. I come from a cross country ski background, and the lack of a bumper, and lack of metatarsal flex made the whole thing ridiculously slow and awkward. I'm sure with bellows it would have been better, but again, cross country bindings purposely limit the movement. It would be much simpler, and lighter, to simply do away with the bumper. But they don't because it isn't necessary, or ideal, to push your foot back that far.

That's where the improved ankle rotation in recent AT boots comes into play -- with old AT boots you were limited in how far forward you could advance the lead foot before the calf bumped into the upper.   With the ankle rotation (and lightness!) of the latest AT boots diagonal stride is possible.   The non-flexing forefoot takes some getting used to and with no bumper kick-turns also require some adjustments in technique.

Still with AT gear you lose the joy and challenge of making telemark turns on the descent.  It's sad that Scarpa stopped making the F1 (which worked well with the TTS binding) and hasn't incorporated the lightness and awesome ankle rotation of the F1 and Alien into it's NTN and 75MM boots

More
08 Oct 2014 15:54 #222761 by RossB

That's where the improved ankle rotation in recent AT boots comes into play -- with old AT boots you were limited in how far forward you could advance the lead foot before the calf bumped into the upper.   With the ankle rotation (and lightness!) of the latest AT boots diagonal stride is possible.   The non-flexing forefoot takes some getting used to and with no bumper kick-turns also require some adjustments in technique.

I was using a TLT 5, so maybe that has gotten better. I still contend that it is a less than optimum stride. If it wasn't, then cross country ski equipment would use it. So far as I know, every cross country ski binding (including the ones that they use in races) has a bumper, to *limit* the range of motion. This adds weight, in a sport where you can pay hundreds of dollars to shave a few grams. I know of no cross country skier who has ever removed the bumper, either.

But anyway, I'm glad it works for you.

It's sad that Scarpa stopped making the F1 (which worked well with the TTS binding) and hasn't incorporated the lightness and awesome ankle rotation of the F1 and Alien into it's NTN and 75MM boots

I completely agree. It is a shame that no one else makes anything like it either.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
08 Oct 2014 22:04 #222764 by Randito

I know of no cross country skier who has ever removed the bumper, either.

FWIW The Salomon SNS Pilot system (both classic and skate) doesn't use a bumper -- it uses a second hook and a spring loaded mechanism that provides a lower return force with a longer travel.

I agree that the totally free pivot is somewhat more awkward for diagonal stride than a binding with some return force -- which helps steer the ski during the forward stride.
Attachments:

More
08 Oct 2014 22:08 #222765 by RossB

FWIW The Salomon SNS Pilot system (both classic and skate) doesn't use a bumper -- it uses a second hook and a spring loaded mechanism that provides a lower return force with a longer travel.

Right -- I forgot about that. I would be curious as to how much range of motion it has.