Home > Trip Reports > September 13, 2005, Muir Minefield, Mt. Rainier

September 13, 2005, Muir Minefield, Mt. Rainier

9/13/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Charles on 9/13/05 9:20pm
Encouraged by the reports of absolutely awesome skiing from this past Sunday, I took the first ski day I could get and headed up to the Muir. I was joined by Matt, a long lost ski partner who, inexplicably, decided that this September would be a great time to start his own ski streak, and by Matt's hiker friend Carrie Lee. It was sunny and warm at the Paradise parking lot, the Mountain was completely out, and we could see that the Muir looked very white with the new snow. The Paradise meadows had that fall look and smell to them, and there were yummy blueberries to be eaten (is that allowed?). The trail was devoid of snow until above Pebble Creek, where the distinctive rolls of "permanent" snow have withered dramatically. While we were stopped for a food break, Lowell appeared.

Carrie Lee decided to hike around below the snow, and the rest of us headed up the snow, soon coming across Stefan just finishing a run. The new snow, where not trampled away to brown snow/ice, had compacted to 2-4 inches deep with moderate grain size, soft and moist on top. When we got through the patches section and onto the actual Muir snowfield, about 8400 feet, a closer look revealed that there was a layer of clear ice over the dirty old snow at the base of the new snow, apparently from refreezing of melt water. This made me hopeful that our skis wouldn't be slicing through to the rock-embedded ice. The view up at the rolls along Moon Rocks, however, was not encouraging. Last year on September 5 this area had been fairly smooth, if somewhat brown, but now it looked like a minefield, with moguls and all kinds of ski-catching features hiding under the thin layer of new snow.

Matt thought that going higher on the Muir would just be too overwhelmingly fun and decided to ski from the top of a little finger of untracked snow under Anvil Rock, but Lowell and I decided to "leave good snow to find better" and kept on hiking. The main hiking route was easy to follow - a brown line in the new snow - and we started encountering the substantial crevasses which have been revealed on the Muir. We stopped just short of the last rise to Camp Muir (the map suggests 9700 feet), had a snack and geared up.

The snow here was a little stiff, not having thawed completely, and I found it very difficult to get into a skiing rythym. There were several types of hazards that could seen - ice moguls and ridges, crevasses, and melt water slots - and several I could vividly imagine lurking just under the thin cover of new snow - small rocks frozen into the ice surface, ice bollards, and more crevasses and slots. We stayed skier's left of the up track for a little bit, then made our way west across the track to get more room to choose a route through the mine field, crossing a number of crevasses along the way. At that point, maybe around 9400 feet, the skiing got better and actually fun at times as the snow softened, the ice moguls were smaller, and we could find relatively smooth corridors in which to link turns.

Here's a photo of Lowell on one of the fun parts:

The new snow was moist and somewhat slow, which was good in this case because it gave time to scan ahead for things to avoid. At the flats below Anvil Rock we traversed east to the rocks and skied down Matt's line, where the snow hadn't been trampled by hikers. Several good stretches of turning along in here. The clouds had been building up and we were in varying degrees of fog from there down to Pebble Creek, with one last skiable stretch after a carry through small patches. The hike back was pleasant as we emerged from the fog and enjoyed the early fall colors, smells, and light.

From an objective point of view, the skiing was terrible. From the subjective point of view of what it would have been like just four days earlier, and what I was expecting (fearing?), the skiing was great! Today looks like another relatively warm and sunny day, so my guess is that if you are not up there skiing right now, it may be too late as there may be very little new snow left by tomorrow.
Nice report and congrats for getting out.

charles,
kuddos for keeping the streak!

Glad to hear you trust our opinions and judgment, at least most of the time! Great job on keeping your streak alive in these desperate times (getting less desperate, thank goodness!)

Way to keep that streak alive Charles!!  :D

Lowell and I decided to "leave good snow to find better" and kept on hiking.....

Gosh, this seems to be the hardest "rule" for us BC skiers to learn, maybe when I "mature"  ;) I'll finally remember it too, but then again, I might get to old to remember it anyway  ;D.  Sure makes you appreciate the good stuff when you return to it.

I got nice snow for my three runs.A little earlier in the day and  down lower than the rest of the gang.  Not to challenging terrain but I'm still new to skis so it was still exciting for me and good for my ego to take a few runs without falling . nice to see you Charles

Great report, Charles.  Glad I ran into you guys. Although the conditions looked desperate (icy bumps, cracks, lurking rocks and mud) I think it was not the worst skiing I've ever had on the Muir snowfield. It was a beautiful day and the skiing was fun in a perverse sort of way. I better be careful or you'll turn me into a streaker.

Way to streak Charles!

Given the forecast, Saturday and/or Sunday may be slightly satisfying too.

Thanks everyone. It was nice to not break the streak, although I've still got the same requirement for October turns - I won't ski on dirty old snow (hear that, Ullar?). I guess I will find out how much the gods care about me...

I agree with Lowell - it was strangely fun. That was definitely the weirdest snow I've ever skied, but certainly not the worst.

Jeanette, in this case breaking the "rule" worked out great because we did find better snow, or at least a lot more equally good (?) snow.

sag, good to see you and great to learn that I was wrong in thinking that you had moved to (gasp) Colorado. Not sure how I could have believed that you would do such a thing!

The snow level is definitely forecast to come down again, so if you haven't gotten September turns yet check the telemetry to see if there is the necessary precipitation.

Added: Thanks to all who provided encourgement and incredibly accurate predictions that there would still be reasonable skiing. I will never ever question you judgement in the future.

Thanks everyone. I will never ever question you judgement in the future.

Heh.  I accept the challenge.

Oh, I can scarcely believe it - my own neighbors went to enjoy a sunny day in the minefield (with fresh glop!) and they never thought to call.

And to think I almost headed up there on my own.  I guess I need to practice acting more on those hunches.  Next time?

-Dave R

Heh. ÊI accept the challenge.

Wait a minute, you're not everyone, you're Mark. That's completely different and this statement doesn't apply to you. Your documented lapses in judgement in the past disqualify you...and now that I think about it, what are you doing as a moderator on this board???

Dave, sorry about that. I guess I didn't cast a wide net because I didn't want to be blamed for the suffering of many other people.

Wait a minute,... you're Mark. ...and now that I think about it, what are you doing as a moderator on this board???
Fire him; go ahead, give him his pink slip. That would serve him right.  But if you fire Mark, you have to fire me, too.  No fair showing favoritism.    >:(

Next time?

Next time, definitely. Charles and I bumped into each other while picking up our sons at a birthday party Monday afternoon. Talk turned to the most recent trip reports and Charles confessed that he was going skiing on Tuesday. I'd been thinking the same thing, but couldn't leave town until later in the morning, so I drove up separately.

You just don't hang out at the right parties, Dave.  ;)  ;)  ;)

I think that a group of us are going sunday, unless we go to baker  ;D . So this weekend is your second opportunity to enjoy some new snow...

This weekend was soccer with the boys - I'll have to show my true colors and choose soccer over the scratchy runnels in the sunday Muir thread...  It's good to get out, but better to have a functional bases for the upcoming season.  I'll wait for the next "new" snow.

On a positive note, my son Brett is begging for tele boots for his birthday.  He's turning 12 next week and with his 8 years of downhill, he ought to make a fine little tele rippah'.

-Dave R

Nice photos, Charles.  Considering all the moaning and groaning and caterwauling about conditions, the Muir looks pretty good (especially for Lowell, who seemed to find quite a number of "good stretches" to ski).  

Mark, it was actually pretty fun, and there were a number of those good stretches. All of the hazards, visible and especially hidden, were what made the skiing a bit worrisome for me. Lowell had a good (?) story about Dave catching his ski in one of those meltwater slots during a turn last September and I definitely did not want that to happen to me.

Lowell had a good (?) story about Dave catching his ski in one of those meltwater slots during a turn last September and I definitely did not want that to happen to me.

Here's a picture:

http://www.alpenglow.org/misc/1113-005-muir-minefield.jpg

It was taken last October. Dave_R and I went up after all the good skiing everybody else had last fall. Kinda like what happened to everybody else last weekend. (Not that our day was all that great, but it definitely went downhill from there.)

As you can see from the picture, Dave found a perfect leg-width crevice. He was cranking a nice telemark and WHAMO! Ass over tea kettle. I don't recall which ski went in. I think it was the lead ski. I suspect Dave remembers.  ;)

Cleaned that crack out real well, didn't I?  As I recall, Lowell stopped and I was going to crank a nice swooping turn to stop just below him, but for some odd reason, my ski kept wanting to follow the fall line.  Then I achieved one-ness with the Muir.  ;)

Yeah, it's a heck of a thing to become famous for...

But, as I recall, the snow up high was real nice - and I have photos of Lowell to prove it - and the day was one of the nicer October days I can remember.  It was a tad scratchy below, but that's all part of the experience.

If we get a fresh dressing here soon, I'll start thinking about September/October turns.

-Dave R

Reply to this TR

september-13-2005-muir-minefield-mt-rainier
Charles
2005-09-14 04:20:35