Home > Trip Reports > April 18, 2014, Hurricane Ridge

April 18, 2014, Hurricane Ridge

4/18/14
WA Olympics
Posted by silaswild on 4/18/14 7:03am
Two inches of fresh snow last night made for buttery turns over corny crust on east to south slopes between 5400'-4700'.  3' pole penetration of mush below the (usually) supportive crust. Gave a lesson to a couple nevereverskier Chinese girls.  Potential senior sitters for ski touring there?

https://vimeo.com/92375360
Not exactly hero corn up there today, but not bad.

I was thinking last night in bed that HR would be fun today… Alas, I had to do chores today.

But looking to get out there soon.

David… keep me up on your plans!  We need to ski and explore

Looks like a good time, great weather and some fun people.  
Hey Silas / David I have a question for you. I have may have a touring day available Friday May 16th based from the Kitsap Peninsula and am thinking of hitting Hurricane Ridge, but don't have any concept of duration of snow pack or what to hit. Any thoughts  on that much appreciated. Of course forecasting Spring snow coverage a month ahead of time is sketchy but any directional beta appreciated. Will likely be calling the rangers the week of to ask about snow coverage. Thanks in advance, anyone else chime in  for sure. S2F.

ski2fly,

Where are you coming from?  I'm in Poulsbo…. Hoping to get out on HR in May as well.

Snow persists up there usually through June.  I skied a thin line off of Klahane ridge last July

Send me a PM if you wanna tour sometime.

You're a f-ing riot.

I can imagine his pickup line: "Ni hau, Chinese girls! Welcome to the land of perennial snow and no heavy metals in the dirt! Sit on Uncle Silas' lap and I'll teach you to ski!"

Silas is our aging Rod Stewart. 

Some footage from today featuring Dave and Silas

https://vimeo.com/92381100

ski2fly,

Where are you coming from?  I'm in Poulsbo…. Hoping to get out on HR in May as well.

Snow persists up there usually through June.  I skied a thin line off of Klahane ridge last July

Send me a PM if you wanna tour sometime.

Reply to this TR

april-18-2014-hurricane-ridge
silaswild
2014-04-18 14:03:47