Home > Trip Reports > April 13, 2014, ONP HR to Rocky Peak Traverse

April 13, 2014, ONP HR to Rocky Peak Traverse

4/13/14
WA Olympics
Posted by tyreid on 4/15/14 7:42am
Hurricane Ridge to Rocky Peak and down the Dragon€™s Tooth. A super worthy, somewhat involved springtime objective covering a lot of terrain. It's helpful to know the individual parts, especially the summit ridge on Mt. Angeles and the north face of Rocky Peak, but linking it all together makes for a rewarding day in the mountains. Conditions were perfect for it on Sunday.

Start at the Hurricane Ridge ski area. Cruise to the top of the rope tow and rip skins. Zip across Sunrise ridge, transition, and skin towards Maggies, along the ridge, to the top of the Bowling Alley. Rip skins, ski to the col above Lost Bowl. Skin up and over King Dome to the west side of Mt. Angeles, up through the forest, switch to booting, traverse around to the SW Ridge and climb the final 4th class pitch to the west summit (so as to avoid any backtracking). Chill on the summit. Traverse the summit ridge most the way to the east summit, ski partway down on the south side, walk over to the first narrow ribbon gully and ski this into the bowl. Lots of ridge cruising out Klahhane with various ups and downs. Ski cool line above Rocky Peak col that you've looked at on multiple occasions. Traverse below the north face to the secret ramp through the cliff bands. Climb the Broken Tooth. Chill on the summit of Rocky Peak. Ski down the ridge towards the Dragon's Tooth and run into a couple large goats. Hang out with the goats. Ski the Dragon's Tooth. Catch a ride back up the road with an old friend.

More photos on
Very nice.  Thanks for the post & blog. I love the Olympics.

Never been on top of Klahhane Ridge on a completely clear day but assuming one would find amazing views.  I've always wanted to ski HR on Memorial weekend with Swifture sailboats racing in the Strait below.  Hopefully the weather and snow pack will cooperate one of these years.

Sweet Tyler! 

I'm pumped to get out this spring.  Plans for the Spearhead, Something in the north cascades this spring (ptarmigan or forbidden) and I really need to to something long and adventurous in the olympics.

I may just do this one soon!

Dan

Photo number 2 looks really enticing.
You wouldn't happen to want to make a little wee hillmap (.com) out of your route so I can understand it a bit better???

I have never skied/ snowboarded/ whatever the Olympics and it might be time to ride the ferry a bit.
Thanks for the TR, excellent stuff.

Reply to this TR

april-13-2014-onp-hr-to-rocky-peak-traverse
tyreid
2014-04-15 14:42:11