Home > Trip Reports > April 14, Mt. Thomson Thompson, E ridge

April 14, Mt. Thomson Thompson, E ridge

4/14/14
Posted by tabski on 4/14/14 12:20pm
Left car towards Kendall Stumpnobs @0615 with partner JH. Descent of hard-frozen Silver Twin Left was attention-getting, but travel was otherwise excellent all the way through Bumblebee Pass to to the base of E ridge of Mt. Thomson. Though today was forecasted to be the warmest day of the week, high cirrus and a slight breeze seemed to tamper warming.

Climbed E ridge of Thomson to the obvious shoulder ~100' short of summit and transitioned. Descended clean, supportable corn down route of ascent back into Thomson Basin. Headed home by the intermediate ridge SW of Thomson Basin, which allowed a descent to Gravel Lake, eventually climbing Sterling Direct to exit via Commonwealth Basin. A stashed bicycle made car retrieval more pleasant, back at the car @1630.

Gear notes: Chocolate milk stashed in the snowbank.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h164/dmtabke/DSC05127.jpg" />

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h164/dmtabke/DSC05161.jpg" />
Awesome touring objective, a full days work I'm sure.

Awesome! That's been at the top of my list for the snoqualmie area especially after 2 attempts!

Great report & photos, Snotqualmie at it's best.

Tabke!!!! You make it sound easy. Way to kill it champ!

nice!

I was there two days earlier and the SE face was already going off at 11am

cross scouring the entrance to the E saddle

pretty debris trails almost down to Edd's Lake.

glad you had better luck--no dice for me. Ended up on another circumnav, higher up around the N. side, very wild back there, full circle back to Gravel Lake and then, did what I've always avoided: Gold Creek exit. Nice ski out tho, and I kind of enjoyed the Gold. A baptismal dip to start it out was crucial. Beautiful country, and yeah the last couple miles do drag... huge thanks to Matt and Ian for the lift back up to the Pass!

Lots of bear tracks everywhere. Startled a mountain goat who limped away... right front leg broken, a really sad sight. helpless.

Interesting to note that the snow-pack level is quickly approaching where it was the same time in June 2 years ago. Thomson N. couloir waterfall already melted out...  still want to ski the whole 3500'+ some day...

[edit: minor revision to reflect snow-level comparison more accurately]

Noice one tabski.  Fine Cascades welcome-back haul.

Add me to the list of envious; line caught my attention on a trip with ryanl a few years ago.  At that time, it looked skiable from the top; looked.

Reply to this TR

april-14-mt-thomson-thompson-e-ridge
tabski
2014-04-14 19:20:50