Home > Trip Reports > September 11, 2005, Anvil Rock Mt. Rainier

September 11, 2005, Anvil Rock Mt. Rainier

9/11/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by silaswild on 9/11/05 9:06am
Mother Nature smiled kindly today on the hordes of TAYers and lurkers aiming to continue their streaks of consecutive months skiing.  At 930AM there were 20 or more backpackers attaching skis to their packs in the Paradise parking lot.  The weather was cool (45 degrees) and still with puffy cumulus clouds covering most everything above 7000'.

The Pied Piper of Paradise ;), having taken a detour to Reflection Lake, arrived with his viedographer and assistant in her chariot and displayed fresh video of the Muir Snowfield and Paradise Glacier on his laptop for any and all who still had not chosen their destination.

A few of us immediately headed for Camp Muir after learning from a local guide that a foot of fresh had fallen there in calm weather yesterday.  Some of us wore sport shoes all the way, others wore boots, and the toughest of all began skinning around 7500'.  Several familiar faces were seen and some unfamiliar, including Paul, a streaker of 132 months from the Tahoe area, recently transplanted to Seattle for some software contracting.

Bottom line, there were big (wind and sun formed over our dry ski season?) icy moguls from Muir to about 9500', then quite skiable slush atop waves of dirty ice for a thousand feet, similar slush over a smoother surface for the next thousand.  Continuous skiing was possible to 7500' level.   The upper snowfield was covered with crevasses ranging from a few inches to a few feet wide.   Below 8000' there were several 6-8" deep gullies in the fall line.  Valley fog rose to cover our route in the early afternoon, but the sun burned warm through it.  Brief glimpses of the summit were possible mid-afternoon, and temperatures were much cooler on our return to Paradise, likely due to the thicker cloud cover.

Other reports and snow quality assessments sure to follow soon.  After a disappointing tour in August, Sir Charles is considering ending his streak this month, I encouraged him to visit the Muir Snowfield in the next few days.  Folks who were there today, what do you think?  Will it last?
I am convinced that the only reason it snowed the past few days is because of the effort TAYers made last weekend to get a few miserable turns. Had no one gone "skiing" last weekend, it would not of snowed. That's the way Ullar works. ;)

thanks for the news, at least something is falling up there, I'm sad I missed it.

Ah, yes...this was my day of redemption :)  The glacial turns made last week definitely deserved a good snow fall to come.  I described the snow as "8 inches or so of mank over glacial ice".  The ice moguls were really few and far between, more of an undulating ski than a bumpy one.  There's no doubt the snow was heavy, but extremely do-able.  Incredible turns were had for an estimated 2200+'.  Our JOM was approx. 48%-not too shabby!

After our regrouping with the Piper and his gang, a wonderful tailgate cook out ensued and was enjoyed by 13 of us.  A wonderful day, indeed :)  Thanks to everyone who made it so great!

I am convinced that the only reason it snowed the past few days is because of the effort TAYers made last weekend to get a few miserable turns. Had no one gone "skiing" last weekend, it would not of snowed. That's the way Ullar works. ;)

Darn, and I thought it was due to the prayers I said to Ullar every night before bed. I told him/her that I wasn't going to ski in September unless there was new snow. This wasn't due to a disappointing August ski (that one was actually very enjoyable) but rather just general disappointment with the loss of "permanent" snow over the last few years and my corresponding loss of motivation to try to ski during the low season.

I'm definitely interested in a second opinion (not that I don't trust Silas' judgement) about what might be left of the new snow by tomorrow (tuesday), which I have as a ski day if I want.

Congratulations to everyone who got their September turns on the new snow!

....not that I don't trust Silas' judgement...

Don't worry, Silas; Charles doesn't trust me either.

There is very good skiing in open areas on the Coleman Glacier above about 6800 feet, with some mixed awkwardness and (um, how shall I put this?) decidedly problematic areas lower down.  On the plus side, I did get extensive practice in the "falling leaf" technique on pure glacial ice while wandering through fields of densely interwoven crevasses just above the climber's camp. For ease of access and objective safety the Muir sounds better, but the snow quality remains quite good high on the Coleman, now consisting of varying amounts of fresh over almost suncup-free old snow.  Crevasses are everywhere, and they look hungry.  

I was again glad to have aluminum crampons for the first couple of hundred feet of clambering onto the glacier.  There's been much downwasting and meltback, but a finger of ice still extends to near 6000 feet.  I skied through the aforementioned crevasses to 6200 by giving free reign to a deep-seated, largely unconscious deathwish.

Hope that helps your decision-making, Charles.

Mark

Charles, I concur with Mark-go for Muir and go soon.  HOWEVER, there's another system moving our way this weekend, so if you can wait it out, I'd say do so.  The temps are remaining moderately cool-enough to keep the snow around, but not quite cool enough to make it an easier ride down :)

Valley fog rose to cover our route in the early afternoon, but the sun burned warm through it.

Nice to see ya'll up there yesterday!  Looks like your crew timed it better for the ski down with the visibility: About 10 minutes after you passed Carter and I on our way up the snowfield the clouds thickened and substantially reduced the visibility; Carter and I turned-around shortly thereafter near 9,300-ft and skied down most of the way in essentially "zero visibility" conditions.  The turns were still fun (in places) aside from the heavy, wet snow and a few suprise bumps and open crevasses (generally less than ~1-to-2-ft wide at the surface, but very deep and dark).

Reply to this TR

september-11-2005-anvil-rock-mt-rainier
silaswild
2005-09-11 16:06:30