Avy tool testers wanted: AvySticker

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 Apr 2014 12:54 - 14 Apr 2014 13:21 #131783 by Charlie Hagedorn
Avy tool testers wanted: AvySticker was created by Charlie Hagedorn
http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=31416.0;id=19282http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=31416.0;id=19299

Ruled-out lists and checklists are valuable. Skis are always visible and you always have them. Why not put useful information and tools right where you can see them? The AvySticker is a 75-mm wide sticker that goes on your ski.

The AvySticker is imperfect (the AIARE fieldbook is more-complete) but it's right there on your ski, and it helps you think about safety on the skintrack. Seeing a ruled-out list in your handwriting as you travel makes it easier to avoid unsavory terrain. Simple checklists are there to make you stop and think, but they can be part of the flow of your day.

I developed the AvySticker for my own use, and I like it enough to make it a thing.  More opinions and testers are useful, so I'm looking for help.

April, May, and June are still game-on for avalanches, and I want to get AvyStickers on skis in order to get durability information and in-field feedback.

I'm looking for testers who would be willing to trade space on a ski topsheet and thoughtful feedback for a free prototype AvySticker and grease-pencil stub.

If testing sounds fun, send a 2-3 sentence backcountry resume to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , with the word AvySticker in the subject line.

Feedback is very welcome. Thank you!.

You can learn more (or buy a prototype right now, if you like) at  www.avysticker.com
Last edit: 14 Apr 2014 13:21 by Charlie Hagedorn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• skiseattle
  • [skiseattle]
More
16 Apr 2014 17:32 #131966 by skiseattle
Replied by skiseattle on topic Re: Avy tool testers wanted: AvySticker
I think this is a great idea!, combined with a full backcountry communication protocol discussion before starting. If everyone in the group has one, you can't help but have a discussion about the route plan.

• Jim_Clement
  • [Clem]
More
16 Apr 2014 18:53 #131970 by Jim_Clement
Replied by Jim_Clement on topic Re: Avy tool testers wanted: AvySticker
Nothing is automatic, checklists still take conscious effort. I think Charlie has an interesting idea here, but it still takes discipline.

Checklists are all the rage in the surgical world, copied from the airline industry in a effort to automate or institutionalize safety. The first preliminary studies looking at checklist effectiveness are disappointing. 98% of hospitals in Ontario Canada recently adopted pre-surgical checklists. After three months the rate of surgical complications and surgery-related deaths was unchanged. The researchers attributed the lack of benefit to spotty and minimal checklist training and lack of surgeon "buy-in" into the concept.

www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1308261

• dave095790
  • [dave095790]
More
16 Apr 2014 18:55 #131971 by dave095790
Replied by dave095790 on topic Re: Avy tool testers wanted: AvySticker
Email sent

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
16 Apr 2014 19:50 - 16 Apr 2014 20:00 #131974 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Avy tool testers wanted: AvySticker

Nothing is automatic, checklists still take conscious effort. I think Charlie has an interesting idea here, but it still takes discipline.

Checklists are all the rage in the surgical world, copied from the airline industry in a effort to automate or institutionalize safety. The first preliminary studies looking at checklist effectiveness are disappointing. 98% of hospitals in Ontario Canada recently adopted pre-surgical checklists. After three months the rate of surgical complications and surgery-related deaths was unchanged. The researchers attributed the lack of benefit to spotty and minimal checklist training and lack of surgeon "buy-in" into the concept.

www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1308261

Excellent counterpoint. (and recent, too!)

The idea here is to have a safety reminder close at hand. I've toured with the excellent ASAP logo (see the photo above) on my right ski tips for years, just as a reminder to look around with an eye for safety.

The prompts on the sticker are, by design, are not prescriptive; it doesn't tell you what to do with the answers to the stated questions. The AvySticker only brings up things that I, personally, don't want to forget.

It's just a sticker; it may not do anything at all. Good decisions and good luck are both prerequisite to many tens of years in the mountains. A sticker provides neither.
Last edit: 16 Apr 2014 20:00 by Charlie Hagedorn.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
16 Apr 2014 19:52 #131976 by Charlie Hagedorn

I think this is a great idea!,  combined with a full backcountry communication protocol discussion before starting.  If everyone in the group has one, you can't help but have a discussion about the route plan.

Email sent

Thanks!

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
18 Apr 2014 23:51 #132077 by Charlie Hagedorn
First round of stickers went out this week - at least one is already on a ski, and another is headed for adventure in the Coast Range!

I have two batches coming in next week. Get in touch ( This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ) if you'd like to try one out!   Once they're gone, it's probably the end of the free ones.

Feedback, as above, is greatly appreciated.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
03 Jun 2014 11:48 #133841 by Charlie Hagedorn
I've been iterating on the design, and I have some v0.11 prototypes left (fanned in the photo). If you want a free one, send your mailing address to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.!

You can check out the new design at avysticker.com

Comments and suggestions always appreciated!

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
26 Jul 2014 14:45 #134940 by Charlie Hagedorn
One can only do so much dissertation work on a sunny Saturday -- Here's an informal video showing what it's like to fill in an AvySticker before a trip.