Home > Trip Reports > April 1, 2014, Crested Butte, GT Grand Traverse

April 1, 2014, Crested Butte, GT Grand Traverse

4/1/14
Posted by cascadekid on 4/9/14 2:24am
For more than a week now, I€™ve struggled against my keyboard to beat out a race report from the GoreTex Grand Traverse (GT), which Taylor and I raced on the night of march 28th and well into the day on the 29th. To encapsulate 15 hours of backcountry racing into a succinct blog post is nigh impossible given the spectral range of emotions and experiences that evolve and transpire during such a lengthy race. Nevertheless, inspired by a report from my friend and fellow racer Ethan Linck, I hope to bring you a few highlights.

http://i2.wp.com/mountainlessons.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/dscn6766-patrickfink.jpeg?resize=596%2C299" />

Expanding my sense of the possible is the biggest kick that I get from prolonged endurance events, and the GT was a new high for me. I€™m a new convert to prolonged endurance, having only run my first Ultramarathon last summer. Nevertheless, it€™s an addicting feeling to line up for a new challenge and to wait for the gun on a race that€™s longer than you€™ve ever done before. More addicting still is the confidence that, regardless of the duration, you are strong enough to finish€“ that feels good.

Read on
Nice job, and congrats on your both finishing! I hope Taylor's knee is healing up well. I've towed a few slowboarder friends for short stretches before - just enough to get an eentsy-weentsy sense of how epic your commitment to teamwork was!

Good effort!  We did that in 2000 and placed pretty well in some 8hrs and change.  The journey down to Aspen was not a pretty sight!

The teams that do well spend lots of time figuring out the route and the gear nuances.

Reply to this TR

april-1-2014-crested-butte-gt-grand-traverse
cascadekid
2014-04-09 09:24:22

© 2001-2021 TAY and our awesome community members