Home > Trip Reports > April 5-6, 2014, Mt. Bailey Hut Trip

April 5-6, 2014, Mt. Bailey Hut Trip

4/5/14
Posted by samski360 on 4/8/14 12:51am
Got out to the Hemlock Butte cabin this weekend, and did a long day of ski touring around Mt. Bailey. We ended up circumnavigating the mountain, ascending the SE ridge, descending the SW ridge, then back up the NW face, then back down the NE ridge. A pretty long haul through some new, heavy snow. We were concerned that avy conditions would limit our terrain selection. However, recent warming in the area seems to have caused good bonding between the layers. Our combination of pits and ski cuts revealed no instability. The riding conditions were great. Continued warming has probably ruined most of the soft snow skiing in the area. But with another spring storm, Mt. Bailey could be right back in the mix.

See here for a full trip report: http://kickturner.blogspot.com/2014/04/mt-bailey-hut-trip-2014.html#more
Now that's a cool looking hut.

Thanks for the excellent report.  Live pretty close so I'd better get in there some time.

RISG, definitely get out there if you're down in Southern Oregon. During the winter the approach is a little long (~ 3 miles) for a day trip, but totally worth it. Once corn season starts and the road melts out a little, my understanding is that you can drive closer to the mountain and cut down the approach. The Hemlock Butte hut requires reservations, and it fills up pretty quickly.

BTW, anyone who reads the TR and reserves the cabin next winter has a obligation to invite me on their trip! I promise I'll bring enough whiskey to make my company bearable.

Thanks--That a deal!

Reply to this TR

april-5-6-2014-mt-bailey-hut-trip
samski360
2014-04-08 07:51:26