Home > Trip Reports > April 7, 2014, Stevens, Jim Hell no more

April 7, 2014, Stevens, Jim Hell no more

4/7/14
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Kenji on 4/7/14 1:19pm
My first visit to Jim Hill since the clear-cut a few years ago.  The densest part of the ski route West side of Henry creek is now clear of all trees making both up/down so much easier. The infamous Jim-Hell is forever gone! The snow was a little heavy, i.e typical April powder, but pretty ski-able except the poor visibility.  The lower basin was full of wet avy debris, there were more fresh ones when we came back down.  the upper slope appeared fairly stable, except on steeper section >40 deg.  When we jumped hard near the West ridge top, the top 10"x10' broke off and ran 100'. 

Overall, pretty fun trip as usual and no trees to negotiate for the exit, just straight ski out to the clear-cut!  I can't imagine any reason for this other than making it more accessible for skiers ???

No action shots because of an operator error; hope Radka would add some. A few more pix.

I just have a few more pictures to add. It was not an easy day for photography, with flat light:

This slid across our skintrack while we were up higher:

Thanks for the extra pics!!

Yikes! That slide looks super serious. Glad you guys timed it right.

I was worried about something like what happened in the last pic when I was soloing JH the week before.  However, the snow was a bit more powdery and probably a tad more stable, but there is some exposure and got me thinking.

Glad you were not on the tracks when the train went by.

Reply to this TR

april-7-2014-stevens-jim-hell-no-more
Kenji
2014-04-07 20:19:16