Home > Trip Reports > Enchantments, 4.6.14

Enchantments, 4.6.14

4/6/14
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by kevino on 4/6/14 1:40pm
Fun day in the alpine. Quick notes on conditions for those looking to take advantage of the weather window:
Heads up on slopes getting cooked by the sun, they were pretty active today. . Shaded and northerly aspects are holding good snow. Snow pack in the mid elevations (3-5k) are not consolidated and undergoing the isothermic mush transition. Higher than that the snowpack is still more winter like.

A few pics:

Was that you guys skiing down the Colchuck Glacier boulder field this morning? 

We climbed and skied NEC on Colchuck.  Stopped about 100 vertical from the summit, unfortunately.  Couloir held fantastic snow.  One of the best runs of the year, the couloir was also very fun to climb, and the booting was pretty easy and straightforward. 

Stability:  We did a pit at the base of the NEC and found complete consistancy in the top meter, the same hardness (one finger) and visually looked the same.  We got a CT16 at about 6 inches, Q2/resistant planar; and we got a ETCX (after 30 hits I literally destroyed one end of the ECT and nothing happened on the other half).

No, that wasn't us. We were further east in the range.

Looks nice!

Road status? Eightmile gated and snowy?

You could drive about 2 miles past the gate. A pleasant walk before and after. Should be getting less and less snowy by the hour.

love this one:
author=kevino link=topic=31381.msg131639#msg131639 date=1396845609]

author=dave095790 link=topic=31381.msg131674#msg131674 date=1396929578]
You could drive about 2 miles past the gate. A pleasant walk before and after. Should be getting less and less snowy by the hour.

Was the gate open for you?  I was up that way this week and the gate was closed.  It was surely driveable for a couple miles past the gate, but I couldn't drive it.

Saw your down tracks and the ski tracks from the guys you watched.  Not winter anymore, Slushy wet afternoons and frozen mornings.

Reply to this TR

enchantments-4-6-14
kevino
2014-04-06 20:40:09