Home > Trip Reports > September 3, Paradise Glacier

September 3, Paradise Glacier

9/15/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by lapaz25 on 9/5/05 9:07pm
Greg, Chuck, and myself headed out early on Saturday morning with not so high expectations for our September "ski" day.  We traveled in fog and breezy conditions until we arrived at the snout of the PG.  After a heavy stream of expletives crossed our minds, we continued up the far side of the PG on the ridge between the PG and the Cowlitz.  Rock fall was hazardous as I was struck a few times, but only a few bruises.  Realizing we couldn't safely go any higher with the decreased visibility and rock fall, we decided to "ski" a patch of dirty, blue, solid, mangled, glacier ice.  The scariest part was getting the skis on our feet while attempting to stand on the glacier!  Ice axe replaced ski poles b/c I thought it would be better to risk putting a small hole in my leg than fall in one of the bottomless crevasses that were just to the side and below us.  Crazy you say? Maybe just a wee bit.

Nevertheless, we "skied" it, only making 2-3 turns on the 30ft of solid, ridged, ice.  Greg didn't think that was enough, so he ended up skiing a patch of ice (maybe 80ft?) down on what used to be the lower PG.  Go Greg!

So, today was like, "Hey, let's go hiking...oh, is that something we can ski? Well, gee, I just happen to have my skis on my back-let's go for it!".  And then after laughing a bit this came out of our mouths: "What the hell were we thinking?" :)

To redeem ourselves, we will be looking for more Septemeber turns, but still count this one in these desperate times.  Sorry, have some good pics, but unable to get them on a web page at this time.  If you're really interested, I can email to you-let me know.

~Lara
Lara and Co.  good to hear you got out for a hike on Sat.  nice work on the patch skiing!  you guys beat us by 10 vf.  who would have thought there would be other patch-skiers in the area....  would love to see the photos ...  i have a patch fetish.  ;D

"What the hell were we thinking?"

I think I know the feeling!

Nice report, Lara.
Now you "got that out of the way". (Geoffrey Lewis)

I'm impressed! Your resolve for September turns is very commendable.

I'm new to town and have recently discovered TAY.  What a cool concept and website!!

This may be a really dumb question (like I said, I'm new to Seattle) .... Has anyone been up the Muir Snowfield recently?  Reading through recent trip reports, I take it that the dry winter is making Sept tough this year.  Is that correct?  What about even hiking up to Muir?  Is even that sketchy now?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!   ;D  Thanks

Reply to this TR

september-3-paradise-glacier
lapaz25
2005-09-06 04:07:41