telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/19/17, 12:45 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
American Alpine Institute
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2014 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  March 2014 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  March 22-29, 2014, Montana Yurt Powder Shenanigans
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: March 22-29, 2014, Montana Yurt Powder Shenanigans  (Read 22393 times)
jekent
1Member

March 22-29, 2014, Montana Yurt Powder Shenanigans
« on: 04/02/14, 05:04 PM »

Full story and photos here.  I've included a few teaser excerpts below.  Some of this actually happened.

----------------------------------

What follows are the final entries from the diary of the last surviving member of the ill-fated Montana Yurt Trip of 2014.

March 22, 2014 - Seattle, Washington

It's been nearly two months since I last set foot in this little rainswept corner of the world. Before my recent move home to the sun-kissed shores of Southern California I spent over three years here braving the gray and cold and getting to know the locals. During that time my explorations led me beyond the salmon and coffee filled streams of the Puget Sound lowlands and into the Cascade mountains where Subarus roam wild and the natives enjoy the backwards diversion of skiing uphill instead of down. It is this last pursuit that brings me back here today.

Day 3 - The Yurt, Montana

The wood stove went out overnight while we slept. Traffic Cone sleeps soundly in his Feathered Friends zero degree bag while the icy tendrils of death wrap around me like an arctic octopus. We spend the morning huddled around the wood stove trying to breathe life into a tiny fire of damp kindling. Last night the weather radio warned of an impending warm up, so today will be our big day to explore while the air remains cold and the snow fluffy. While the Snickers situation has not yet become serious, I can't help but suspect that somebody is hoarding. I eye all my expedition partners with suspicion.

Day 4 - The Yurt, Montana

The Snickers situation has become dire. A pall of desperation hangs over the yurt. With temperatures warming and snowpack deteriorating, thoughts turn to cannibalism. Brenda will probably put up the least fight - he is small and, I suspect, a pacifist - though his meat is likely tough and stringy due to an all vegetable diet. The Handmaiden on the other hand offers plentiful meat but would be tough to take down in hand-to-hand combat. We all sleep with one eye open. Death is everywhere.

Jake the Brit

Re: March 22-29, 2014, Montana Yurt Powder Shenanigans
« Reply #1 on: 04/02/14, 08:18 PM »

is the linky broken?Huh

More please, la prose est excellente...ahhhhhhhhh La France!
sprice

« Reply #2 on: 04/02/14, 09:16 PM »

Nice. Much better than our week of dust on breakable and un-breakable crust at wallowa yurts with 50 mph winds
Jim Oker

« Reply #3 on: 04/03/14, 01:44 PM »

Fun report. Where was (I know, MT...)?

Steve - were you guided or unguided in the Willywowallyas? Which basin(s)? And did you find any of what guides down there optimistically call "sifted in powder" in any strips worth descending? That's more or less what we got a few years ago while skiing out of Norway Basin, and though I know there were some crust turns involved, the more powdery part is what I end up thinking back to  Cheesy.
jekent
1Member

« Reply #4 on: 04/05/14, 10:48 PM »

The Yurt is in the Southern Swan Mountains, northwest of Missoula.  The company is called Yurt Ski and they have two yurts in this valley.  The owners are very nice and heavily bearded, as referenced in the story.  Lots of sweet treed terrain up there, plus some amazing looking alpine lines for a safer snowpack or a less risk averse group - we mostly stuck to trees due to windslab concerns on steeper open slopes.  Just an all-around gorgeous area that has a more off-the-grid feel than Washington...probably because Montana is larger and has a population of about 600 people.

More info here: http://yurtski.com/about.html
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.