Home > Trip Reports > Sept 3, 2005, Shasta- Brewer Creek

Sept 3, 2005, Shasta- Brewer Creek

9/3/05
US elsewhere
Posted by JoeMack on 9/5/05 8:38pm
Headed south on Friday night after work. Got to the trail head around midnight and set the alarm for 7:00am . After breakfast and finishing packing, we were on the trail by 8:30 or so and made it to the snow at ~9500 ft. We used crampons and the snow was reasonably soft. Weather was sunny, with high, thin clouds. It was breezy which made the climbing less sweaty. Started descending at 1:30pm at ~12500 ft. Skiing for the first 1000 ft was challenging because of the suncups/bathtubs, but was considerably better for the lower portion. It looked like the top layer of snow was new within the last week or so. We had a few carries to get the last patches down to ~9000 ft.  Big fun. Looks like we'll be heading back down in October, which will be my 12th month.
Kudos for making the trek down there. I drove past Shasta in late August, it had more snow on it then I've ever see in August before and it looked (from I5) whiter/less rough then it typically does. The week I was in the Bay Area it was also much cooler then in Portland!

It was your pictures of the Palmer "glacier" that convinced us to head south!

Reply to this TR

sept-3-2005-shasta-brewer-creek
JoeMack
2005-09-06 03:38:33