Home > Trip Reports > March 30, 2014, Kendall Trees, fresh

March 30, 2014, Kendall Trees, fresh

3/29/14
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by MtnPavlas on 3/30/14 1:24pm

Surprised to see no reports from this weekend, although even more surprising was to arrive to an empty parking lot at almost 8 AM. Went up to Kendall Trees and wrapped it just hair short of Kendall Peak, even though conditions seemed pretty stable based on our observations and a pit we dug. There are couple crusty layers at 65 cm and 105 cm but didn't sheer easily.
There was about 20-25 cm fresh above 5000' and it stayed quite light for the first part of the day. Started getting heavier as the day went by but it still skied well. There was less new snow in the trees but it still skied quite nicely, considering it was pouring rain only a few days ago in the pass. We burned a couple laps in the trees and had to head back to town around 1 PM due to other commitments. Didn't see any other skiers, only one snowshoer up below Kendall and a few snowshoe groups on the main trail down below.
It was raining lightly once we dropped close to the pass.

A pretty good day all in all, I guess it's all about low expectations ;-)

Pardon the low-quality photos... just posting a couple so you can get an idea re conditions.

Actually that looks pretty good!  Is that Dave again?

My impression is that people are generally quite gun shy this year. I  certainly have a gut reluctance to exposure based on distrust of the snowpack at deep levels. There are less trip reports than any season since I joined TAY. Maybe people are just being cagey about their stashes but I suspect that uncertainty is widespread in the PNW.

author=r1de link=topic=31325.msg131428#msg131428 date=1396280382]
Actually that looks pretty good!  Is that Dave again?

Nope, it was Pavel & Pavel ( 8) 8) )

Its not completely that they are cagey about stashes, which for anything out of the ordinary they are, but its also due to the potential backlash they get from the community for hitting a line now after this season's odd snowpack.  Monday morning QB is all too easy and folk generally don't want that hassle.  Conditions over the weekend were certainly great both days, especially higher up in the right places of course.

Lookin' good, Pavels!

I'd wondered about trip-report scarcity too, so I plotted the numbers.  This year is lower than the recent past, but not a lot.  March 2014 isn't over; more TRs will appear.

Added the bonus plot to illustrate the point that TAY's not chattier than past years. 5 replies/TR is quite stable.

Love the stats, Charlie - thanks ;- )

Thanks, guys, for chiming in - it's nice to keep the convo going here on TAY. We played it quite safe, stayed on West aspect and mostly in trees. The pow was more PNW-style than champagne-style but hey, I'll take it.

Reply to this TR

march-30-2014-kendall-trees-fresh
MtnPavlas
2014-03-30 20:24:55