Home > Trip Reports > March 23-27, 2014, Stanley Mitchell hut, Yoho NP

March 23-27, 2014, Stanley Mitchell hut, Yoho NP

3/23/14
Posted by teledavid on 3/29/14 6:03am
It's a long hike to the Stanley Mitchell hut in Yoho NP in the Canadian Rockies, but so worth it!

Dick, Kenji and I skinned the 14 miles out to the hut last Sunday the 23rd. Fortunately, a group had skied out the day before and we did not have to break trail! :)

The first day was perfect! Sunny, clear skies, and powder! We toured up towards Kiwetinok pass and to the basin below Kerr mountain. Wonderful skiing in about 5-10" of powder.

The next day a storm was starting to blow in but we had just barely enough visibility to ski on the President glacier. Some wind crust but mostly fun powder like the day before.

The third day provided no visibility above tree line so we found some nice powder in the trees. It had snowed 15 cm over night and that added to the existing powder to make for some delicious knee to waist deep pow! We skied it all day long remembering the delightful feeling of being cradled in white fluffy joy.

We left the next day about an hour and a half behind a larger group so they could break trail out for us :) The last 200 m drop to the Yoho Valley along the route out was one last kiss goodbye to our stellar crystalline dreamland.  ::)

Enough of the flowery talk, let's see some pictures!

Here are a few of mine. Come back for Kenji's!

Two more. Sorry, I'm having some trouble get pictures in here.

Ok, here are some of my pix.  More on Yoho1, Yoho2

Stars above the hut:

Up Mt Kerr:

Skiing on Mt Kerr:

Down Mt Kerr:

Powder run?

Reply to this TR

march-23-27-2014-stanley-mitchell-hut-yoho-np
teledavid
2014-03-29 13:03:54