Home > Trip Reports > Sept 1, 2005, Vantage mini dune

Sept 1, 2005, Vantage mini dune

9/1/05
Posted by Sam Avaiusini on 9/1/05 8:47pm
With 13th row, center section Pearl Jam tickets in hand ;D, Lori and I left the amphitheater parking lot at 4pm and headed back down the access road to the highway 26 junction and parked the car.  Phil and Bill and Steph arrived just as I finished my first run.  This being my 3rd day ever skiing on sand, I must say, the sand felt a little slower than Bruneau '03.  It was with this warning in mind when Phil and I watched Bill launch into his first turn...a face shot, if you will!  After spitting-out the mouthful, Bill found a rhythm on his Silvretta 404s, tele-style!  This, of course, was all captured on Phil's new HD Cam, so there's sure to be a new installment to his ongoing "Instructional Series".  
Lori and Steph, being the more sensible creatures that they are, looked on from the bottom of the slope while swiggin' brews... 8)
Skiing all the way back to the cars, we made our pilgrimage back to the Gorge for the PJ show which lasted 3 wonderful hours.

I must say, I never thought there could be any major differences in sand consistancy from dune to dune, but Phil and I agreed that the glide factor of the sand at Bruneau, ID was in fact superior...though 5 times the drive!
Edited to add:  And no, I'm not planning on counting this as official Sepember turns.
very nice...that's a fun dune indeed!  8)

Way to nail September turns, dude.  8)

so there's sure to be a new installment to his ongoing "Instructional Series".  

said video

Edited to add:  And no, I'm not planning on counting this as official Sepember turns.

Somewhere in the raw footage, in the background, you can hear Steph asking "will this count for September turns"?  The response is immediate, with an emphatic "NO."

Incidentally, I didn't have as much problem with glide as the others (I think Sam has a video clip demonstrating this  8) ).  When I grabbed my old pair of skis on the way out of Seattle, I noticed they were covered in blue cross-country ski wax.  "Ugh!", I thought.  Oh well, I didn't have time to scrape it off.  However - it actually turned out really well, since a thin layer of sand stuck to the wax, thus providing a sort of ball-bearing surface on which to slide.

Sweet Viddy  ;)

Reply to this TR

sept-1-2005-vantage-mini-dune
Sam Avaiusini
2005-09-02 03:47:20