telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/21/17, 06:05 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Ski Service
Pro Ski Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2014 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  March 2014 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  March 23, 2014 Nisqually chutes to bridge
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: March 23, 2014 Nisqually chutes to bridge  (Read 2251 times)
dkoelle

March 23, 2014 Nisqually chutes to bridge
« on: 03/24/14, 06:36 AM »

Thanks Amar for the inspiration! Finally after years of looking at this, Tim and I traveled this line today.  It was a beautiful albeit crowded morning at Paradise and on the way up. We exited the cowpath @ 8300' and traversed to the entry area. Really fun to check out a new way to descend.  We had it to ourselves until the very end; as we walked across the bridge to the hitchhike zone a group of 3 was coming out.

While a little gripping it seemed safe and wide enough. Looking down at the lower glacier it was interesting to try to imagine which way to go and spot the bridge in the far far distance. There were one set of nice tracks we more or less followed.  Down at the bottom we crossed the river from skiers' right to left perhaps 1/2 mile above the road on a snow bridge; not a problem but this may not last a lot longer. I have no real idea where all the crevasses are so its hard to say how much longer the whole trip will be good.  A few pictures at https://www.flickr.com/photos/koelle/?details=1 
« Last Edit: 03/25/14, 07:38 PM by dkoelle » Logged
bfree32

Re: March 23, 2014 Nisqually chutes to bridge
« Reply #1 on: 03/24/14, 04:03 PM »

Nice work. FYI there are no crevasses as long as you stay generally on the east side of the basin. You drop down right near the terminus of the glacier. There is also no need to cross the river - both sides work fine. The skier's left has a ramp just before the bridge that goes through some light shrubbery up to the road. The skier's right has a short bootpack just after the bridge to the small parking lot there.
mosetick
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: 03/30/14, 12:52 PM »

There were one set of nice tracks we more or less followed.

Thanks dkoelle! Those were my tracks from the day before!  I skied from Camp Muir to the Bridge solo on Sat. 3-22. What a great day too! The conditions were incredible on 3-22. All nice powder up high, and the sun was out. There was only one set of faint, fading tracks that I saw on my way down on 3-22 that mostly stayed to the east side of moraine. They looked like they were several days old. I opted to stay to the west side of the moraine and boot packed up to the road.

I didn't have time to put together a proper TR together at the time, but Sat 3-22 was a beautiful day on Mt. Rainier. The conditions were really solid. The sun was out the whole day, and then at the end of the afternoon, the upper mountain made her own weather as she often does and there was mixed snow and sun for a few minutes at Camp Muir. As soon as I dropped about 800-1000vf I was back in the full sun again.
Here is a shot from camp Muir:
Camp Muir conditions Sat, 3-22-2014
dkoelle

« Reply #3 on: 03/30/14, 04:48 PM »

Nutrition before drop

https://www.flickr.com/photos/koelle/13524036355/in/set-72157642828454544
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.