Home > Trip Reports > August 29, 2005, Paradise Water Skiing

August 29, 2005, Paradise Water Skiing

8/29/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Scotsman on 8/28/05 9:00pm
The streak must continue!
Yep, I together with MikeC my telemarking buddy braved the icy slopes of Muir.
We bootpacked the whole way to about 200 ' below Muir when the weather socket in. Strapped on the skis and started down. Crossed two crevasses just below Muir and then braved the bare ice. To our suprize the bare ice running with water provided the best turns. It skied like corn, honestly  ;)and you would break through some small dams that where holding back ponds and create a mini-tidal wave. Mike had to deal with my wake a couple of times. We walked over the bare sections and skied down every patch to above pebble creek. Absolute madness but what fun. 8) We where hooting and hollering the whole way down.
Crevasses, blue ice and sluff management not on an AK big face but on Muir. Who'd have thunk it?
Great fun but pray for snow so that I don't have to do it again in September ???
Saw one other dam fool TAYer who followed us down and introduced himself as Peter.
Nice meeting another maniac!
Sorry, got my date wrong it was yesterday August 28th.
;D

Kudos for getting out! Taiya says she spoke to you last week. :)

Cheers,

Jeff

Yes Jeff, and she told me to bring my skis when I go to visit the jobsite this winter in Skagway and she'll take my skiing with her Whitehorse buddies.
I shall keep you informed and sing your praises to her ;)
Chris

Chris, you're a new form of animal spawned on the Muir Snowfield.  How many times is that for you this year?

Sorry I missed you Sunday.  I decided to leave the parking lot early because I thought if I slept I wouldn't be able to wake up...then poof...the infant streak is gone.  Wondering how I missed you on the trail though...are you sure you were really there? ;)

JibberD
Oh , I was really there and I have the  wrecked skis to prove it. 8) I saw your e-mail the night before but couldn't contact you as I was not logged in on the computer I was using. ??? Looked for you though!
See you up there in September. ;)

Ps. Any news on your Japan job? Latest issue of  Powder has big article about skiing in Northern Japan. You might find it interesting.
Chris

Skiing water flowing over blue ice was definitely a new condition for me!  I have to say, I prefer it to inverted moguls (or sun-bathtubs, as I heard them aptly named) filled with years of ablated dirt though.  I would definitely recommend that anyone making the slog to the 10,000 foot mark, leave your dominatrix at home because you will be getting spanked!  I haven't seen suncups that bad since I skied Adams a couple of years ago around this time.  A few hundred feet down from Muir wasn't so bad though, and the new crevasses add a little excitement.

Chris, Mike - it was definitely cool meeting you guys.  I don't know what we'll do for SeptOct turns!  This may call for early migration.  Anybody know anything about what's going on in Canadia?

_pete

Reply to this TR

august-29-2005-paradise-water-skiing
Scotsman
2005-08-29 04:00:04