Home > Trip Reports > August 28, 2005, The Palmer Glacier, Mt Hood

August 28, 2005, The Palmer Glacier, Mt Hood

8/28/05
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Jeff Huber on 8/28/05 10:40am

Phew - I didn't lose my streak!! I intended to ski the fist wkend of this month but those plans fell-thru. I rescheduled for each subsequent wkend but each time other activities, work, family, my cat, etc. took priority leaving today as my final chance to ski. Luckily I made it!

The lift stopped running about two weeks ago. It's 2000vft to the base of the snowfield then a 510vft skin to the top of the continuous snow. I did two laps plus a dirty patch below the snowfield for total vert of 1075' and a JOM of 35.59% (1075/3020). Snow conditions were better then I expected, some mellow bumps but not too bad for end of August. Although there were many hikers and tourist enjoying the lwr mtn, I had the upper mtn virtually to myself.

I didn't have a lot of motivation to ski today but I'm very glad I did. I was begining to forget how much I love skiing and skinning, and it was especially enjoyable to see Mt Hood in a different shape then usual. Good times.

More photos (mainly just scenic):

Jeff

PS: Special thanks to Aaron (aka "OldHouseMan" [it's a misnomer unless you know German]) for being patient the first two times I rescheduled and for the empathic warning to not go to Snowdome today (he skied there the wkend prior and told me to only go if I want to see how bad it is).
Wow.
Tks for the report, Jeff.
Looking pretty grim down there.
Pray for snow.

Way to keep it rolling, Jeff. The Palmer webcam looked pretty scary, and your pictures confirm it!

but is that a deception, or does White River Canyon look alright?

It's, alas, a deception. The vast majority of the glacier is heavily broken. On the upper left fringe (where it isn't in the canyon) there would be some good turns for 750vft or so, but skiing down into White River canyon would neceistate many mandatory serac hucks.

On the drive up the Zigzag glacier looked okay and bigger then the Palmer, but I didn't feel like hiking over there.

I was there last weekend and skied the top of the zig zag -- surprisingly mellow suncups and not too dirty.  Unfortunately it was dawn and rock solid when I made my descent.  The Palmer was fun but certainly not much of a glacier.  It is possible the weather front today brought some fresh snow in up there.  Andy

Reply to this TR

august-28-2005-the-palmer-glacier-mt-hood
Jeff Huber
2005-08-28 17:40:08