Home > Trip Reports > March 17, 2014, Snoqualmie pass

March 17, 2014, Snoqualmie pass

3/17/14
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by silaswild on 3/17/14 7:25am
Wind effects on open slopes:  light candy shell crust and some areas blown free of snow. Softer in old growth trees.   Ski penetration 0-16".  No sun affect today.
West was definitely wind affected and picked up some sun that you might have misssed in the trees . Tried it for a couple runs and then moved on to Hyak which was much more sheltered and more to our liking. 

Was there any sun up there at all today?  The slightest bit will ruin my dawn patrol objective and I'll change for a different one.  Was planning a SW aspect figuring there wasn't any sun today.

Thanks

We were at west around 10:00am Enough sun came through that the lower lift  and magic carpet roofs were dropping their snow cover quickly. kiinda screwed our second run.
Don't know what your objective is but you might shift to a more shaded one. North facing worked for us. If i could go  back tomorrow Id go for Hyak or some big trees or something else shaded.
My guess is Silas was some place secret and spooky deep where the sun never shines  ;)

Well we did the phantom from the tippy top's and it was all good, even the waterfall trees were acceptable although the skin track through the trees was a PITA.

2 other parties of 2 hit the slot as they got up there quicker but we didn't want that many tracks and who can resist 3000ft of untouched cascade powder.

Thanks Silas!

author=silaswild link=topic=31157.msg130690#msg130690 date=1395095112]
 Ski penetration 0-16". 

impressive range.

Reply to this TR

march-17-2014-snoqualmie-pass
silaswild
2014-03-17 14:25:12