Home > Trip Reports > August 20, Hood S. Side

August 20, Hood S. Side

7/15/05
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Buck on 8/23/05 9:05pm
This is my first post but thought it might have some interest for some in these lean turn times.  I was at a wedding on Cooper Spur this past weekend and knew that the Palmer lift had finally closed.  I figured I could hike up and get some nearly freshly groomed turns on the glacier with no people.  I was right.  I left Timberline at about 3:30 and made it up near the Bergshrund by dawn.  I did not go higher.  No one else appeared to be on the mountain and rock fall up high was readily apparant.  I began my ski descent on a finger of the Zig Zig that  began at about 9600 ft.  It was bulletproof but not as suncupped as I'd expected.  I decscended 500 ft or so (I had no altimeter) and then cut over to the top of the Palmer.  I marvel that as of last Thursday people were paying 41 bucks to ski a pretty sad looking patch of glacier.  However, the snow was still flat and relatively groomed (ie. no suncups).  I made my first run at seven and was pleasantly surprised by nice corn. I happily made a second lap.  For those that know the area, you can ski down to the halfway lift entrance on the Palmer -- probably about 600 vft.  I took two laps, and though the snow was dirty I left without any base damage.  I was back at my car shortly after eight and faced the puzzled looks of people at the lodge who asked "they still skiing up there?"  I'd say there is a week of relatively suncup free skiing for those who want it.  Not too exciting but really easy and fun to be up there with no one else.
Buck Nas ttttttttteeeeeeeeeeee!!!Nice report!!!!Did you take a picture?

Did you spend the night up there?

"I left Timberline at about 3:30 and made it up near the Bergshrund by dawn."

No pics unfortunately Hambone.  Wish you and Z-man were up there with.   I did not spend the night.  Actually, I left the pre-wedding party I was at to go to Timberline.  Needless to say, I was not in top form at the start of my trek.  There are many nice bivy spots above the Palmer for those who are interested.  The entire trek up can be done in tennis shoes.  Take it easy.  Buck

Reply to this TR

august-20-hood-s-side
Buck
2005-08-24 04:05:07