Home > Trip Reports > March 12, 2014, Mt. Baker, Roman Mustache Lines

March 12, 2014, Mt. Baker, Roman Mustache Lines

3/12/14
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Atraslin on 3/15/14 6:22am
Roman Mustache lines

A weather window finally opened up. My first time up in March for a winter ascent. A big stoked group had seen an avalanche rip off the North Face when we arrived, some concerns arised for our ski objective.

We woke up to sunny skies. Windy on the summitt plateau but everyone summitted. James was already set to drop down the west side. We all descended a couloir from the top, then down the face, snow felt somewhat stable. But sun was hitting the face all afternoon.

We were taking photos with Jason, so the group of four separated. Mike skied a traversing left line. Jason and I skied in an out of seracs, slots and ice falls where Jason seems to be the most comfortable. James skied the most direct fall line run and most aesthetic.

After skiing my 5th ski descent via a different route on Baker, I think the west side is a good alternative to the Roman wall if your looking for something a little more committing but not as scary as the North face.

Skiers: Andy Traslin, Mike Traslin, Jason Hummel, James Mcskimmimg

Sweet!

I was the guy (with Daver) that skied over and said hi when you 4 were just above the col. I believe you make a brief appearance in our video that Daver posted here.  Your lines down the west face look awesome and I will have to try that next time I'm up there.

I was definitely jealous on the way up when I kept looking back and seeing you guys enjoying your morning in the sun on top of Heliotrope! 

Nice, it was cool seeing you guys up there. Such a great day up there!

Dave

We all nailed the weather window, good to meet you guys up on the mountain. I've climbed and skied Baker over 20 times. Every time as day trip. It was good to relax at camp. But I still like going light and fast as day trip. Day 1 was a bit of a slog with the big pack, well worth it for sure.

Great to meet you guys. Good to get the weather window.

it was cool to run into you guys up there.  seemed like everyone on the mountain was having a good day.  we sure did!

Yes.... bs. It was great weather for the two days. We had just arriived at camp. At first I was overwhelmed by everyones Stoke level.... Which left me short on words.... It did not take long to figure out why you guys were so happy!

Take care.

Reply to this TR

march-12-2014-mt-baker-roman-mustache-lines
Atraslin
2014-03-15 13:22:51