Home > Forum > Avy in Great Scott Bowl?

Avy in Great Scott Bowl?

• Samuraijr
  • [Samuraijr]
More
14 Mar 2014 13:23 #130559 by Samuraijr
Avy in Great Scott Bowl? was created by Samuraijr
I haven't seen it reported here, but given all the excitement over at Crystal, I thought I'd point out that according to Facebook and Martin Volken, part of Great Scott Bowl below the Tooth slid sometime this week.  Nice crown, things are going deep.  : www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbi...359376&stream_ref=10

I'd like to know specifically what day it slid, does anyone know?

JR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2014 18:36 #130569 by NickD
Replied by NickD on topic Re: Avy in Great Scott Bowl?
I was there Tuesday and it looked to be about 36 to 48 hours old judging by the amount of snow on top of the debris. It is on a southeast aspect and the crown likely began in a gully at approximately 4600 feet.  Not a very steep slope either. Maybe sun heating rocks with these rotten layers soaked by rain? Quite sobering and chose mellow stuff the rest of the day.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 Mar 2014 21:02 #130575 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Avy in Great Scott Bowl?
Thanks for the post. (I don't use Facebook.)

From the pictures and captions, that appears to be the slope right below the east face of The Tooth. Correct?

Gee, if they'd just waited a day before bombing it.... oh wait, there was no bomb.   :-[

More
15 Mar 2014 10:11 #130590 by Griff
Replied by Griff on topic Re: Avy in Great Scott Bowl?
Wow, another big slide. This shit is scary. Don't know that I am going to head out until it all comes down first.

• JCK
  • [James_Keithly]
More
16 Mar 2014 20:07 #130651 by JCK
Replied by JCK on topic Re: Avy in Great Scott Bowl?

the beauty of debate is education. A sideways TG can form near rocks and morph snow near but also away from rocks. Also of course shallow areas created by bigger rock and wind erosion. Edit to add. It really doesn't matter who is wrong or right, which offen depends on Pov, just that the solutions that are reached benifit the community as a whole and not simply serve  greed and ego.

Wait wut?

• Snoqualmonix
  • [alpinemorg]
More
16 Mar 2014 20:59 #130656 by Snoqualmonix
Replied by Snoqualmonix on topic Re: Avy in Great Scott Bowl?

Wait wut? 

For reals. 

Wrong or right? Solutions?  Greed?  Ego?  I read this thread simply as a PSA about another post-event observation in some of our local terrain.  But then again I might have missed something.

• Gregg_C
  • [Gregg_C]
More
16 Mar 2014 22:14 #130660 by Gregg_C
Replied by Gregg_C on topic Re: Avy in Great Scott Bowl?

For example, recent data suggects that pros tend to under estimate avy size potential and over estimate their ability of control, as in over confidence. While mother nature  just does her thing.

Interesting Chris. Care to provide us with the research and source for this tidbit?

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
16 Mar 2014 22:35 #130662 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: Avy in Great Scott Bowl?

Interesting Chris.  Care to provide us with the research and source for this tidbit?

I'd be quite curious to see this too. Or is this perhaps a case of confirmation bias ?

More
17 Mar 2014 10:26 #130671 by BillK
Replied by BillK on topic Re: Avy in Great Scott Bowl?
It doesn't look like anyone knows what the hell your beef is this time...

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
17 Mar 2014 13:17 #130682 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: Avy in Great Scott Bowl?

Oct. 2013 ''the avalanche review'' page 10. ''lessons learned: Gnfac professional development workshop examines take-away messages from near-incidents in the field'' by Andrew Kiefer.

Is this info available online somewhere? From a hasty hunt, I've only come up with this , which doesn't include that page. If it's not available online, are you able to provide a bit more info on what these takeaway messages are, and what sort of experience or data the takeaways are based on? Thanks.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
17 Mar 2014 14:37 #130687 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Avy in Great Scott Bowl?
get back to the great scott stories, take the squabble to tgr where i can join in proper.
bobby

• T. Eastman
  • [T. Eastman]
More
17 Mar 2014 16:11 #130692 by T. Eastman
Replied by T. Eastman on topic Re: Avy in Great Scott Bowl?
It's St. Paddy's day, give Great Scot a break...

• Splitter
  • [Splitter]
More
17 Mar 2014 20:11 #130707 by Splitter
Replied by Splitter on topic Re: Avy in Great Scott Bowl?
Is that the chute between The Tooth and Bryant?

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
17 Mar 2014 20:36 #130713 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Avy in Great Scott Bowl?

Is that the chute between The Tooth and Bryant?

It's the chute on the southeast side of The Tooth. So it's farther away from Bryant. I think it's the chute used by climbers in summer to access the South Face of The Tooth.

• Gregg_C
  • [Gregg_C]
More
18 Mar 2014 13:06 - 18 Mar 2014 13:57 #130747 by Gregg_C
Replied by Gregg_C on topic Re: Avy in Great Scott Bowl?

Oct. 2013 ''the avalanche review'' page 10. ''lessons learned: Gnfac professional development workshop examines take-away messages from near-incidents in the field'' by Andrew Kiefer. I answered your guestions, will you answer mine? Will this lead to a valid discussion that leads to a solution to some of the questions i have raised? Or will i be accused of conducting a personal vendetta,asked to start a heli-hate web site, 'cause that's what i am right,  labeled a harasser and now being accused of implying that nwac is intentionally mis-leading the public? If education  is to win out, lets replace hype with the transparency of truth. Yes Jim, understanding tribal bias is a good starting point and why i often bring it up. 

Thanks Chris.  I was genuinely interested in discovering the source for your post.   There were two tragic deaths of avalanche forecasters last year (Utah and Montana) and I thought it may have been connected to those events.  We all want to learn here and your comment lacked a source that we could all read about and form our own opinions.  Most of us are curious and want to be the safest backcountry skiers we can.  Sharing and learning from others is always the best approach.
Last edit: 18 Mar 2014 13:57 by Gregg_C.

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
18 Mar 2014 14:01 #130751 by pipedream
Replied by pipedream on topic Re: Avy in Great Scott Bowl?
The side of the pyramid point facing the ski area near on the north tip of Chair Pk. appears to have slid big yesterday. I heard Patrol had a hand in that one, but I'm not entirely sure why except maybe to protect those returning from the very far reaches of the ski area-accessible BC. IIRC, the path heads straight down to Source Lake.

• snoqpass
  • [snoqpass]
More
18 Mar 2014 14:42 #130752 by snoqpass
Replied by snoqpass on topic Re: Avy in Great Scott Bowl?

The side of the pyramid point facing the ski area near on the north tip of Chair Pk. appears to have slid big yesterday. I heard Patrol had a hand in that one, but I'm not entirely sure why except maybe to protect those returning from the very far reaches of the ski area-accessible BC. IIRC, the path heads straight down to Source Lake.

Patrol had nothing to do with it

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
18 Mar 2014 16:31 #130760 by pipedream
Replied by pipedream on topic Re: Avy in Great Scott Bowl?
Good to know. I wouldn't want to be close to that thing whatsoever. Absolutely hudge.

The usual zones beyond the gates which climax annually have now been covered by a few inches of snow. Sliders beware!

• Good2Go
  • [Good2Go]
More
18 Mar 2014 16:45 #130762 by Good2Go
Replied by Good2Go on topic Re: Avy in Great Scott Bowl?
Egads, can you believe how they're standing on that hang fire! And it's sitting right on top of that never abating PWL too!  Those guys are obviously totally clueless!  This unique snowpack it totally unpredictable and must be tamed!  Too bad we can't bomb it all to dirt.  

• Mattski
  • [Mattski]
More
23 Mar 2014 21:16 #131055 by Mattski
Replied by Mattski on topic Re: Avy in Great Scott Bowl?

greg, i hope you can understand that many of us are concerned when we see clients out on dangerous days in avy terrain and feel the pain when we hear of a client or guide death on such a day. It is only natural to want to find a solution.   

FSG
I am curious why you are only concerned for the clients and not the rest of the general public out doing the same thing? Are there more clients than recreationalists in the Methow? What exactly are the old locals doing that everyone else should know? Since you are calling out individuals by name I think you should use your real name so we can face the accuser.

I looked at the US Avi fatalities for the last 5 years(avalanche.org-accident database) and there have been only two guided avalanche accidents that resulted in fatalities both in AK. So out of 24 deaths in the US this year, only a guide was killed, not the clients. Two years before in the same operation in AK another guide died with a client. Your specific references to choices of guided parties that did not result in an accident seem to be speculation about their decision making process.

I believe your avalanche & snowpack observations are excellent and helpful then over-reach when judging professionals. The Avalanche Review article does not separate out snow professionals with little or a lot of experience. That group includes ski patrol, DOT and guides. Pro Patrollers are almost certain to be caught and possibly injured in an accident if they work for up to 10 years due to their constant exposure to actual avalanche happening during control work. When you go through the avalanche accident database you see the professional getting caught and killed are from ski patrols working avalanche control. This part of the job statistically is on par with Alaska fishing in terms of hazard and the likelihood of injury.

Your narrow focus a few guides in WA Pass obscures the fact that few accidents happen in a guided setting. Those that do rarely result in injury. Some people post about their near misses on TAY and some don't. While the learning from the accident is a great opportunity, not everyone feels compelled to do so and that is what makes our right to free speech so great.