Home > Trip Reports > March 07, 2014, Clara Lake, transforming facets?

March 07, 2014, Clara Lake, transforming facets?

3/7/14
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by jtack on 3/7/14 1:47pm
I dug a pit to the ground today, ~1.5m on an east, north east slope at 6000 feet, and where two weeks ago in the same area I found 15+ cm of facets, I found none.  I would not put too much stock in this yet, but it was an encouraging sign. I did not think the snow would have warmed up that much.  Ill try and check a north aspect if I get the time in the next few days.

Hooray hoorah. I hope there is something to this!

Spooky pile of facets--fingers crossed for ET Meta in full force!!

I dug a pit today to the ground on a north facing slope and did not find any improvement in the lower layer.  Failure of a 150cm column at the ground on the thirteenth tap.  The lowest 40cm were the same no strength crap we have seen elsewhere.  I'll post a video later.  For now, my opinion is that the rain and warm weather have not erased the deep problem in the Wenatchee area.

Here it is.  Not super exciting, but it is interesting that a 150cm column would fail at the ground on tap #13. 

http://youtu.be/8uoQFNlmYY0

This was my first day on my new Alien boots.  I drove home in them just because I could.  Couple seconds of the video in honor of the "sneaker" function of these boots.

i see you use the same facet taste test as i do ;-)  pretty worrisome layer down deep, thank you for the information

author=Oyvind_Henningsen link=topic=31050.msg130245#msg130245 date=1394413929]
facet taste test

:)

Interesting result on the compression test, but it seems a little tall for column height.  This could have skewed the result from the effects of leverage on the weak layer.  In general, I think CT should have column height less than 1m.  You might try a deep tap test or PST on the layer instead.  Just a thought.....

Wouldn't that be through "sublimation" rather than the actual melting of the facets (do to the decrease of temperature gradient, therefore reversing the process and so leaning toward equi-temperture metamorphism--and so less tg process and more et?

Sorry---not trying to be a pain, just a little old school and so trying to put newish terms into context..for example.... isn't depth hoar an advanced form of faceting...I read quite often "facets", and "depth" hoar in the same sentence...and it seems like the writer is suggesting that they are different...

I was definitely not an English major...

I don't know any of the technical stuff but the point is that the deep weak layer on the ground, which earlier in this thread was maybe being suggested as improving, is still a potential problem.  At least in that one spot where I chose to go looking for it.

author=rlsg link=topic=31050.msg130295#msg130295 date=1394499363]
Wouldn't that be through "sublimation" rather than the actual melting of the facets (do to the decrease of temperature gradient, therefore reversing the process and so leaning toward equi-temperture metamorphism--and so less tg process and more et?

Noted, and changed.

Reply to this TR

march-07-2014-clara-lake-transforming-facets
jtack
2014-03-07 21:47:26