Home > Trip Reports > August 14, 2005, Paradise patch

August 14, 2005, Paradise patch

8/14/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Snow_Pika on 8/15/05 4:15am
August 14th, 2005
Paradise Patch
Ron, Jeanette, Jerry, Amar, Dave, Stephen, Sam, Lori

Stephen tests his new boards while Jerry shoots some video from below

Sam's cousin, Stephen, was visiting from Florida with his new tele boards.  We had gotten the bindings mounted the day before (there aren't any ski shops in Florida) and he wanted to give them a spin.  Upon recommendations from the TAY gang we met Ron, Jeanette and Jerry at the Paradise parking lot.  Upon final packing we saw Amar and Dave parked close by, also looking for some late season turns.  They decided to see what we were up to and joined the gang.  We hoofed it up the Edith Creek trail to avoid the packs of looky-loos and rounded McClure rock to our destination.              

On the other side of the ridge we took a lunch break, and prepared to skin up our route.  The glacier is in prime summer conditions with most crevasses opened and evident with a few remaining cracks with noticeable "amphitheaters" lurking beneath.  The tracks from Skip's crew the week before were now snow-fossilized, with their new reverse appearance reminiscent of a mini boarder-cross course.  

Sam, Dave and Amar skinned ahead while Ron, Jeanette, myself and our sea-level friend took a leisurely skin, chatting about Stephen's times spent in Italy, Germany, Iraq, Afghanistan, Africa...etc.  I even took the time to make a snow-gram for Sam (knowing I didn't have a card for our anniversary the next day, plus, he'd probably like this better). Jerry neared the top of the "patch" as Amar, Sam and Dave came down for their first lap...missing my love note, but catching it on the way back up.  The rest of us arrived to the top and opted for a sun and snack break while we waited for Sam, Amar and Dave to skin back up.  Sam and Amar arrived, while Dave had decided to take his own sun-break on the rocks half-way down.  

The ski down was bumpy at first, but after the first 300 feet or so, it smoothed out to some fabulous summer-time conditions.  We took our turns performing for the cameras and spreading compliments all around.  We reached the bottom feeling content all-around.  We packed up and headed down towards pebble creek.  Amar and Dave got a few last turns in on the lower patch of the Muir snowfield, and we met at the trail to begin our foot decent.  We smiled, with our skis on our backs, as we passed the bewildered tourists.
SP, et al -

Sorry I couldn't join you this week - I spent a lazy weekend out in the Olympics instead.  It appears I missed a good day...

Nice report,
-s

I just love summer corn ;D it was a GREAT day indeed!! New friends, old friends, and the "Geezers" doing their thing.  Check back for photos soon  8).

You missed a good one, Skipper.  Maybe next time.
Great Report, Lori.
It was fun meeting you and Sam. not to mention cousin Steve who put out an impressive performance for a flatlander.  Them Navy guys are tough.
Amar, Dave, great running into you guys, it's been a while.  Thanks for joining us.
Jeanette - thanks for hosting the fantastic tailgate party/bbq... Tasty.
Wanna see more?  I've got a couple of pages of pics up HERE.

Jeanette - thanks for hosting the fantastic tailgate party/bbq... Tasty.
Wanna see more?  I've got a couple of pages of pics up HERE.

Yeah Jeanette, thanks again for sharing your grub with us moochers!  Next time, we'll try to contribute a little better! ;)
Nice photos, BTW...I realized after the fact that I had my camera set to under expose (from a previous outing).  Most of my shots turned out way too dark.
>:(

The tracks from Skip's crew the week before were now snow-fossilized, with their new reverse appearance reminiscent of a mini boarder-cross course.

Great trip report Lori. Nice photos Ron. Sorry to miss the festivities and Jeanette's BBQ. My sister's wedding on Orcas turned out quite nice though, even with my wacko tan lines from our now fossilized  turns.

That's no patch, that's a snowfield!

;)   ;D

Isn't it about time that you (Lori) and Sam did tele  on these modest pitches in nice summer conditions? For a young stud/ette couple like y'all, the AT set up is too easy.  C'mon and level out the playing field.  Free your heels!

JimmyO

ps Happy Anniversary, nice way to celebrate it.

Greg, I know you're only kidding, but it's a patch compared to the glacier it once was... ;)

And yes, Jimmy, I am considering getting a tele setup for the lazy dayz of summer, but I doubt it will EVER be my weapon of choice for the vast majority of the skiing that I do.  Sunday would have been perfect though, you're right!  Lori already has me 1 up'd on the quiver, as you know she got a tele setup this winter...Rossi Scratches no less...the ones with profile of the babe on them! 8)

Whatever you call it, Greg, Sam managed to get 2500 vf of turns on it!!

Sorry I missed this one...  Sunday's windsurfing session was pretty tame compared to the looks of those crevasses in ronj's pics.

Where's da grooovy mooovy?

agreed.  way too high of a JOM. not interested.  ;)

JOM?  ???
Joy-O-Meter?  :)

Sam's Sunday JOM=2750/4980 X 100= 55.2%

However, I think Amar actually eeked me out by about 3% by skiing an extra 150ft of slurpee down to Pebble Creek. ;)

Kam this is WAY above your 10% threshold! ;D

Does anyone think this will be worth hitting for September turns on Labor Day? I'm getting a little worried and not too picky :)

We're going to head up there this weekend.  So, watch for the report.  :) Yep,yep,yep.

Also, does anyone know about how long in takes to do this tour??  We have a friend that wants to join in the fun.  But is under some time constraints.

Also, does anyone know about how long in takes to do this tour??  We have a friend that wants to join in the fun.  But is under some time constraints.

RT for us was 8 hours, but we were in no hurry, so enjoyed taking a break and having lunch when we got to the snow, and then took a short break at the top.  But then again the "Geezers" always like to enjoy the WHOLE day  ;D.  That didn't include the BBQ time back at the car  :D.  Watch those crevasses, they're starting to open.

Yeah, we took our sweet time, for sure...
However, this tour is a bit shorter than going to Muir, so maybe take your usual time to Muir and reduce it by 25% or so.

I bet it will still be doable over Labor Day.  We could even get some snow by then...wouldn't that be a treat? 8)

Reply to this TR

august-14-2005-paradise-patch
Snow_Pika
2005-08-15 11:15:28