telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
09/24/17, 10:28 AM

Snohomish County
Volunteer Search & Rescue Team

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2005 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  July-August 2005 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  August 14, 2005, Paradise patch
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: August 14, 2005, Paradise patch  (Read 15838 times)
Snow_Pika
5Member

August 14, 2005, Paradise patch
« on: 08/15/05, 12:15 PM »

August 14th, 2005
Paradise Patch
Ron, Jeanette, Jerry, Amar, Dave, Stephen, Sam, Lori

Stephen tests his new boards while Jerry shoots some video from below

Sam's cousin, Stephen, was visiting from Florida with his new tele boards.  We had gotten the bindings mounted the day before (there aren't any ski shops in Florida) and he wanted to give them a spin.  Upon recommendations from the TAY gang we met Ron, Jeanette and Jerry at the Paradise parking lot.  Upon final packing we saw Amar and Dave parked close by, also looking for some late season turns.  They decided to see what we were up to and joined the gang.  We hoofed it up the Edith Creek trail to avoid the packs of looky-loos and rounded McClure rock to our destination.              

On the other side of the ridge we took a lunch break, and prepared to skin up our route.  The glacier is in prime summer conditions with most crevasses opened and evident with a few remaining cracks with noticeable "amphitheaters" lurking beneath.  The tracks from Skip's crew the week before were now snow-fossilized, with their new reverse appearance reminiscent of a mini boarder-cross course.  

Sam, Dave and Amar skinned ahead while Ron, Jeanette, myself and our sea-level friend took a leisurely skin, chatting about Stephen's times spent in Italy, Germany, Iraq, Afghanistan, Africa...etc.  I even took the time to make a snow-gram for Sam (knowing I didn't have a card for our anniversary the next day, plus, he'd probably like this better). Jerry neared the top of the "patch" as Amar, Sam and Dave came down for their first lap...missing my love note, but catching it on the way back up.  The rest of us arrived to the top and opted for a sun and snack break while we waited for Sam, Amar and Dave to skin back up.  Sam and Amar arrived, while Dave had decided to take his own sun-break on the rocks half-way down.  

The ski down was bumpy at first, but after the first 300 feet or so, it smoothed out to some fabulous summer-time conditions.  We took our turns performing for the cameras and spreading compliments all around.  We reached the bottom feeling content all-around.  We packed up and headed down towards pebble creek.  Amar and Dave got a few last turns in on the lower patch of the Muir snowfield, and we met at the trail to begin our foot decent.  We smiled, with our skis on our backs, as we passed the bewildered tourists.
« Last Edit: 08/15/05, 03:48 PM by Snow_Pika » Logged
skip

Re: August 14, 2005, Paradise patch
« Reply #1 on: 08/15/05, 01:52 PM »

SP, et al -

Sorry I couldn't join you this week - I spent a lazy weekend out in the Olympics instead.  It appears I missed a good day...

Nice report,
-s
Mad_Dog

« Reply #2 on: 08/15/05, 02:54 PM »

I just love summer corn Grin it was a GREAT day indeed!! New friends, old friends, and the "Geezers" doing their thing.  Check back for photos soon  Cool.

There is nothing worse than refusing to learn: this is where old age begins.

Jeanette
ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #3 on: 08/15/05, 03:24 PM »

You missed a good one, Skipper.  Maybe next time.
Great Report, Lori.
It was fun meeting you and Sam. not to mention cousin Steve who put out an impressive performance for a flatlander.  Them Navy guys are tough.
Amar, Dave, great running into you guys, it's been a while.  Thanks for joining us.
Jeanette - thanks for hosting the fantastic tailgate party/bbq... Tasty.
Wanna see more?  I've got a couple of pages of pics up HERE.

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
Sam Avaiusini

« Reply #4 on: 08/15/05, 03:55 PM »

Jeanette - thanks for hosting the fantastic tailgate party/bbq... Tasty.
Wanna see more?  I've got a couple of pages of pics up HERE.

Yeah Jeanette, thanks again for sharing your grub with us moochers!  Next time, we'll try to contribute a little better! Wink
Nice photos, BTW...I realized after the fact that I had my camera set to under expose (from a previous outing).  Most of my shots turned out way too dark.
Angry

Sam Avaiusini
sheispiste

« Reply #5 on: 08/15/05, 04:11 PM »

The tracks from Skip's crew the week before were now snow-fossilized, with their new reverse appearance reminiscent of a mini boarder-cross course.

Great trip report Lori. Nice photos Ron. Sorry to miss the festivities and Jeanette's BBQ. My sister's wedding on Orcas turned out quite nice though, even with my wacko tan lines from our now fossilized  turns.

any day in the mountains is a good day in the mountains
gregL

« Reply #6 on: 08/16/05, 07:05 AM »

That's no patch, that's a snowfield!
Mad_Dog

« Reply #7 on: 08/16/05, 07:34 AM »

Wink   Grin

Jeanette
JimmyO
5Member

« Reply #8 on: 08/16/05, 08:47 AM »

Isn't it about time that you (Lori) and Sam did tele  on these modest pitches in nice summer conditions? For a young stud/ette couple like y'all, the AT set up is too easy.  C'mon and level out the playing field.  Free your heels!

JimmyO

ps Happy Anniversary, nice way to celebrate it.
Sam Avaiusini

« Reply #9 on: 08/16/05, 03:00 PM »

Greg, I know you're only kidding, but it's a patch compared to the glacier it once was... Wink

And yes, Jimmy, I am considering getting a tele setup for the lazy dayz of summer, but I doubt it will EVER be my weapon of choice for the vast majority of the skiing that I do.  Sunday would have been perfect though, you're right!  Lori already has me 1 up'd on the quiver, as you know she got a tele setup this winter...Rossi Scratches no less...the ones with profile of the babe on them! Cool

Sam Avaiusini
ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #10 on: 08/16/05, 03:02 PM »

Whatever you call it, Greg, Sam managed to get 2500 vf of turns on it!!

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
JibberD

« Reply #11 on: 08/16/05, 03:49 PM »

Sorry I missed this one...  Sunday's windsurfing session was pretty tame compared to the looks of those crevasses in ronj's pics.

Where's da grooovy mooovy?

-Doug O
kam

« Reply #12 on: 08/17/05, 12:39 AM »

agreed.  way too high of a JOM. not interested.  Wink

What do you mean you didn't bring skis?
ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #13 on: 08/17/05, 02:20 AM »

JOM?  Huh
Joy-O-Meter?  Smiley

Sam Avaiusini

« Reply #14 on: 08/17/05, 03:42 AM »

Sam's Sunday JOM=2750/4980 X 100= 55.2%

However, I think Amar actually eeked me out by about 3% by skiing an extra 150ft of slurpee down to Pebble Creek. Wink

Kam this is WAY above your 10% threshold! Grin

Sam Avaiusini
lapaz25

« Reply #15 on: 08/18/05, 12:35 PM »

Does anyone think this will be worth hitting for September turns on Labor Day? I'm getting a little worried and not too picky Smiley

Skiing: When grit meets grace and power embraces passion.
ultragrrl
5Member

« Reply #16 on: 08/18/05, 02:02 PM »

We're going to head up there this weekend.  So, watch for the report.  Smiley Yep,yep,yep.

Also, does anyone know about how long in takes to do this tour??  We have a friend that wants to join in the fun.  But is under some time constraints.

Mad_Dog

« Reply #17 on: 08/18/05, 04:03 PM »

Also, does anyone know about how long in takes to do this tour??  We have a friend that wants to join in the fun.  But is under some time constraints.

RT for us was 8 hours, but we were in no hurry, so enjoyed taking a break and having lunch when we got to the snow, and then took a short break at the top.  But then again the "Geezers" always like to enjoy the WHOLE day  Grin.  That didn't include the BBQ time back at the car  Cheesy.  Watch those crevasses, they're starting to open.

Jeanette
Sam Avaiusini

« Reply #18 on: 08/19/05, 11:11 AM »

Yeah, we took our sweet time, for sure...
However, this tour is a bit shorter than going to Muir, so maybe take your usual time to Muir and reduce it by 25% or so.

I bet it will still be doable over Labor Day.  We could even get some snow by then...wouldn't that be a treat? Cool

Sam Avaiusini
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.