Home > Trip Reports > Feb 28 Snoq Pass Crust

Feb 28 Snoq Pass Crust

2/28/14
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Jake the Brit on 2/28/14 11:21am
The rain crust is still there. Except on solar aspects, which today skiied really well.
There is less crust low down (3000-4000')

Crust is breakable & manageable up to 5000' when it becomes evil, you can't ski (snowboard) it, you can't walk on it. It skins OK though.

I went to Lake Lillian and it was great, but turned around at 5200' becasue of evil crustycrust. But hey, I heard it rained at 5.5K, so maybe it'll all be great up high.
I had crampons but never used them.
Now beer
That a lot of meat to chew in few words.
Thanks (sincere)

Good to see you were undeterred by the challenging conditions.  Did you reach the lake via traverse from your route of last week or did you go up Rocky Run creek?
Frank

thanks for the report...was hoping to get a confirmation of what seemed likely to be challenging conditions up there this weekend.     

author=fh link=topic=30964.msg129798#msg129798 date=1393680820]
  Did you reach the lake via traverse from your route of last week or did you go up Rocky Run creek?

I went up Rocky run by climbing up Rampart to 4800 & dropped back to ROcky run @ 3900 on a falling traverse. I'll post some pics later.

Also dug a 5' pit on 20deg e facing slope @ 4700' on the backside of a col, which was a prefect candidate for wind-loading.
The snow seems very well consolidated (column test would not fail, even from the shoulder, it went at QT3 4' down when I really walloped it with a haymaker).
There is a 1" ice crust about 5' down. My column was only 4' tall though so the ice crust didn't factor in my test.

The crust seems to be everywhere right now. Judging by the soreness in my lower back today, I'd liken skiing it to what I imagine riding a bucking bronco is like. It's a wonderful workout, basically you have to do squats and box jumps to launch yourself out of the snow and rotate mid air to change direction. All and all, yes, challenging would be an appropriate description. For bonus points, dodging trees in this crust adds a whole new dimension of excitement.

I'm glad to see new snow falling now. I just hope it bonds ok.

Reply to this TR

feb-28-snoq-pass-crust
Jake the Brit
2014-02-28 19:21:24