Home > Forum > August 5th - 8th, 2005, Las Lenas Argentina

August 5th - 8th, 2005, Las Lenas Argentina

• AndyP
  • [AndyP]
More
09 Aug 2005 13:45 - 02 Oct 2006 21:59 #211931 by AndyP
After a night of partying at the Andino Hostel in Mendoza we drove south towards Las Lenas.  We got sandwiches from a funky store in a small town on the way.  As we neared Las Lenas we got a better view of the mountains and snow covered sage brush.  When we arrived, there was still plenty of day light so Ann and I attempted to ski some slopes behind where we are staying but were thwarted by a creek.  Sunday was cold and cloudy so we didn't ski much.  Monday was finally sunny and after several hours of delay the Marte chair opened.  The Marte chair is sweet!  It rises about 2500 vertical feet and accesses lots of steep terrain.  We skied two runs back to the lift and a third 4000 foot run back down to the base.  The snow ranged from light fluffy boot deep powder to a variety of wind affected surfaces.  I didn't take any pictures in the excitement of these first two runs.  The third and last run was at a slower pace so I took a few more pictures.  We have been skiing and traveling since Portillo with Brad, Steve, and Jeff, all originally from the Tahoe area.   Here is a picture of Ann and I at the top.  The first bowl was largely untouched and we skied some warming powder.  The next pitch near a rock outcropping yielded a couple good turns ( Ann , Brad ).  

Today (Tuesday) was also sunny so the Marte lift was running.  Ann was not feeling well so I took two runs with our roommates, Shane and Brianne.  The views from the top were again excellent ( peaks in distance , warning sign ).   This chute was the first run of the day .  The next run we continued farther down the ridge and skied the large bowl above the Caris chair.  Later I met up with Ann and skied another 4000 foot run similar to the last run of the prior day. This time we went further skiers right behind the knob above the Vulcano chair.  Here is a picture of Ann on that run.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
09 Aug 2005 18:39 #211932 by Jeff Huber
Replied by Jeff Huber on topic Re: August 5th - 8th, 2005, Las Lenas Argentina
Very nice Andy!<br><br>

More
10 Aug 2005 05:45 #211933 by Zap
Andy,<br><br>Just returned from hiking around Paradise area on dirt and enjoyed the winter ski photos of your trip. The terrain at Las Lenas looks great.<br><br>Did you bring your touring gear ?<br><br>We'll be there for the spring season.<br><br>Zap

More
10 Aug 2005 05:55 #211934 by JMor
Great photos and TR, thanks for sharing your adventure :D.

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 Aug 2005 07:08 #211935 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: August 5th - 8th, 2005, Las Lenas Argentina
Andy-Thanks for the updates. I am reviewing my goals and this drooling report helps solidify some of my needs in life. Have a great time! I hope the weather turns out to your liking. BTW-How are you sending these reports on the road?<br>Joe

• AndyP
  • [AndyP]
More
10 Aug 2005 10:57 #211936 by AndyP
Thanks! Glad the TR was enjoyable. Once again it has started to rain so today we took a down day. Hopefully it will recoved like in Portillo.<br><br>Zap,<br><br>We did bring our touring gear but haven't had to put on skins. There is so much to ski here right off the lift. With skins the posibilities are pretty limitless. The lifts provide a big vertical boost though and tickets are $107 pesos or about $38 US. <br><br>Most of the stuff off the Marte is technically out of bounds and we did have to sign a wavier to leave the boundary. The boundary is actually enforced by some sort of government search and rescue group. Oddly enough after crossing the boundary there is actually a poma lift to gain a small amount of vert to better access the long run that we did back around to the base.<br><br>Joe,<br>I brought a laptop and there is WiFi at both ski areas.<br><br>Andy

• lapaz25
  • [lapaz25]
More
11 Aug 2005 08:17 #211937 by lapaz25
Oh my, like the others, I am drooling intensely. My goal is to ski SA summer of 2006. I'm missing out on a trip this year (in 2 weeks) with some friends due to funds, but can't wait to go next year. Any tips for someone who's never been there before and has no idea where to start? I will also be looking for some folks to join or to join me...<br><br>~Lara

• AndyP
  • [AndyP]
More
12 Aug 2005 09:25 - 02 Oct 2006 22:03 #211938 by AndyP
The weather hasn't quite turned out to our liking.  Wednesday it warmed up and rained, Thursday was sunny but very windy, and today (Friday) was also cloudy and very windy.  We went for a tour Thursday but didn't ski Wednesday and today.  The winds have been so strong.  Despite the sun, our tour was cut short by the wind.  At one point my entire pack started to blow away.  This morning only a couple poma lifts were running and the Marte chair has not been open since Tuesday.  I think the main drawback about both Las Lenas and Portillo is that the possibility of downtime is high and there are not many alternative things to do.  Here are a few pictures from yesterday's tour.

Looking up valley

Interesting peak across valley

Looking across valley from high point on tour

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
12 Aug 2005 09:37 #211939 by Jeff Huber
Replied by Jeff Huber on topic Re: August 5th - 8th, 2005, Las Lenas Argentina
Wow, that's a lot of spindrift comming off the peaks in your photos -- definitely looks very windy. I'm sorry to hear about the wind. Your photos are great.

• Paul Belitz
  • [pbelitz]
More
12 Aug 2005 10:05 #211940 by Paul Belitz
Replied by Paul Belitz on topic Re: August 5th - 8th, 2005, Las Lenas Argentina
JEALOUS. &gt;:(

• Sam Avaiusini
  • [savaiusini]
More
12 Aug 2005 17:56 #211941 by Sam Avaiusini
Replied by Sam Avaiusini on topic Re: August 5th - 8th, 2005, Las Lenas Argentina
is it just me, or do all these photos portray the slopes to be VERY uncrowded? I've done the New Zealand thing, but it is clear that I need to score some action in the Andes! :D

• alpentalcorey
  • [alpentalcorey]
More
12 Aug 2005 23:15 - 12 Aug 2005 23:19 #211942 by alpentalcorey
Replied by alpentalcorey on topic Re: August 5th - 8th, 2005, Las Lenas Argentina
I am also trying to tenatively plan for South America in Summer/Fall of '06.  We'll see if it happens.<br><br>Gracias por los reportajes! Que sigan disfrutandose!

• philfort
  • [philfort]
More
13 Aug 2005 12:49 #211943 by philfort
That looks awesome...<br>Anyone know why the snowline doesn't extend into the trees there? Are there any trees at all? Seems weird not to have snow-covered forest in between the desert and the high-alpine.

More
13 Aug 2005 17:22 #211944 by Zap
Andy,<br>Thanks for the reports and great photos. They have kept "the spirit alive". Jill and I will spend October in the Argentine and Chilean Lake District skiing volcanoes and taking a Spanish Immersion course. We plan to spend November in southern Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego. If you create a photo journal of your trip, we would enjoy viewing it. Thanks.<br>Zap<br>

• AndyP
  • [AndyP]
More
13 Aug 2005 23:30 - 13 Aug 2005 23:35 #211945 by AndyP

is it just me, or do all these photos portray the slopes to be VERY uncrowded?  

<br><br>The lower part of the mountain was actually pretty crowded.  There is a ton of terrain off the Marte chair (where most of the pictures are from) but it is skied by a small percentage of people staying at Las Lenas.  Lift lines could be a hour long in some of the areas lower on the mountain.<br><br>Sounds like a great trip, Zap.  I´ll post some more photos when I get back or have better internet access.  We also wanted to check out Patagonia but could not fit it in.  I will look forward to the pictures and report while waiting for it to snow in the PNW.  We are now in Mendoza and are going to spend a few days here before going to Santiago for a few more days before heading home.<br><br>Phil, It would have been great to have some trees to ski.  I would also be interested to know why there are none.  <br><br>Andy<br>

• Scuba_Steve
  • [Scuba_Steve]
More
18 Aug 2005 18:56 #211947 by Scuba_Steve
Replied by Scuba_Steve on topic Re: August 5th - 8th, 2005, Las Lenas Argentina
Andy,<br>Saweeeet time skiing with you guys in Portillo. Wish I could have extended another week and seen Las Lenas. Oh well, just another reason to head back in a year or two.<br><br>Keep the turns smooth!<br>SS

More
01 Sep 2005 03:02 #211949 by Zap
Andy,<br>Great photos. Looking at blue skies and powder certainly rekindles the desire. "The Necklace" looked inviting - it reminded me of Hollywood Bowl near the Mammoth Crest. <br><br>Jill and I will be in Bariloche in a month for the spring touring season. Time to reglue the skins. :) Thanks for sharing your adventure.<br>Zap