Home > Trip Reports > Feb 22, 2014, Vertfest Mt Bachelor Skimo Race

Feb 22, 2014, Vertfest Mt Bachelor Skimo Race

2/22/14
OR elsewhere
Posted by cascadekid on 2/25/14 2:36am
After skin difficulties and some hard-won lessons at Alpental last week, I was both nervous and excited to get back on snow this weekend for the Subaru Vertfest Mt Bachelor race. The weather was amazing, with blue skies and a light breeze, and around 60 people turned out to race in the recreational and elite divisions.

http://i1.wp.com/mountainlessons.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/8f6723e89c3011e392520ef0453e1a92_8-e1393350878363.jpg?resize=576%2C456" />

The course was modified at the last minute to avoid travel to the top of Mt Bachelor, which had yet to open. Rather than climb all the way to the top of the mountain, the elite division instead completed two laps of the second and longer climb before booting the cinder cone and descending to the finish.

More Photos and a race report here:

http://mountainlessons.com/skiing/vertfest-mt-bachelor-podium

http://i2.wp.com/mountainlessons.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/83bbfce29cf511e3b85612a7545bb72a_7.jpg?resize=551%2C551" />

Photo attributions after the jump
Thanks for the post. I live in Bend but sadly was out for racing (likely would have been 59th) due to a bad cold. Next year, I hope. I hope Bend and bachelor treated you well. Best of luck in UT.

The rando racing thing isn't really my cup of tea, but dude...you are my new hero for laying waste to a couple of speed-suit wearing weenies. Way to prove you can move fast while not looking like a tool. ;-) Definitely my favorite rando race read ever!

Congratulations. You sound like you ran a great race! What are race skis like?

What a great race! While you were at the front, I was pulling up the rear. But beautiful weather, friendly racers--all in all a great time. Also, its cool to get a group of BC skiers together once in a while...most of the time we're trying to get away from each other. Good luck in UT!

Hmmm...just because you wore a baggy jacket doesn't cancel out the fact you were wearing tights for pants....sorry Josh to disappoint you, but your hero was wearing some Dynafit tights ;D

author=Brandonee link=topic=30908.msg129636#msg129636 date=1393514103]
Hmmm...just because you wore a baggy jacket doesn't cancel out the fact you were wearing tights for pants....sorry Josh to disappoint you, but your hero was wearing some Dynafit tights ;D

Damnit, my world is shattered.  This is why my momma told me to never glorify heroes, they will always disappoint you in the end. :(

I haven't bought tights yet, but it's tempting. I think buying racing skis this season may have started me down a slippery slope (after skinning up it first, of course).   ;)

The negative reactions to skimo racing are amusing. I mean, does anybody think wearing lycra for bike racing is weird anymore? Nah, I didn't think so. The thing that amazes me is how far ahead the Europeans are when it comes to skiing fast and how long they've been out there.

For me, fast skinning is like aerobic meditation. Great exercise, low impact, and highly technical.

I have really been digging spandex on the last couple of warm volcano tours. It breathes so good but also keeps you warm when you need it. Those guys know what's up! Spandex is also superior for skintrack yoga breaks

author=Lowell_Skoog link=topic=30908.msg129685#msg129685 date=1393536331]
I haven't bought tights yet, but it's tempting. I think buying racing skis this season may have started me down a slippery slope (after skinning up it first, of course).   ;)

The negative reactions to skimo racing are amusing. I mean, does anybody think wearing lycra for bike racing is weird anymore? Nah, I didn't think so. The thing that amazes me is how far ahead the Europeans are when it comes to skiing fast and how long they've been out there.

For me, fast skinning is like aerobic meditation. Great exercise, low impact, and highly technical.

I'm with ya Lowell, moving quick and covering distance can be just as rewarding as skiing that beautiful line you've always wanted to.

Though I will still reserve the right to poke fun at spandex. ;-) Definitely do not take it as a negative reaction to rando racing in general, though I'm guessing you weren't referring to my reply specifically.

As for the bike guys, for racing I totally understand it, but making fun of the guys commuting to work along the Burke-Gilman in the matching "sponsored" spandex shorts and jerseys is totally fair game! :D

P.S. The cowprint spandex to go along with the cowprint skins (got a pair of these myself - love 'em!) is $$.

Reply to this TR

feb-22-2014-vertfest-mt-bachelor-skimo-race
cascadekid
2014-02-25 10:36:30