Home > Trip Reports > Feb 22-23, 2014, Crystal Environs

Feb 22-23, 2014, Crystal Environs

2/22/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by danpeck on 2/24/14 12:56pm
The windows of heaven have opened and they don't seem to be in a hurry to close.

We live in a blessed place.  8)

We dug a pit on our ascent and were able to find the buried 4+ feet week layer from before this cycle of storms.  An isolated column failed on the 4th hit from the elbow.  It was hard to identify distinct layers above that and everything seemed nicely bonded. 

We noted new wind loading/affected on the E slopes with light and fresh snow well below the ridge line.  We stuck to the trees and narrow lines where we could stick close the trees and ski out of the way of any moving s now.  On N, NE slopes ski cuts caused loose slides from the new snow that traveled quite fast and far on 35+ deg slopes.  Once the sloughs were done, there was very little activity.  Face shots were observed.

At the end of each day we skied W facing 30+ degree slopes with sheer joy.  We observed no sloughing or slabbing here.

Pics and uncut video here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danpeck/sets/72157641488888025/
It was a great weekend. With 14.5k' in two days, exploring new lines almost every run, and superb conditions, I was torn between wanting to document some of the fun without getting in the way of excellent skiing.
Edit:
https://vimeo.com/m/87838480

Nice Video Ed!  You beat me to it.  I guess you have more time when you are working than I do when I'm on vacation  :)

Somehow there were two of me and you forgot Nick.  But maybe Nick likes my name better.

Everyone needs to know that the final scene in the tree well happened while we were skinning.  Good Show!

Kyle… I saw you off in the distance and wanted to come shake your hand and say nice work on the American Alps Traverse!  Perhaps next time I see you in the bc.

Thanks Dan. Sorry Nick. Fixing it. Was a bit late when I finished, and no, I didn't cut it at work.

Reply to this TR

feb-22-23-2014-crystal-environs
danpeck
2014-02-24 20:56:01