Home > Trip Reports > Feb 22, 2014, Snoqualmie Mtn, The Slot

Feb 22, 2014, Snoqualmie Mtn, The Slot

2/22/14
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by snowdog on 2/23/14 7:53am
Pat, Jenni and I decided to ski the Slot on Snoqualmie Mtn as we were driving up for a day of skiing.  We knew the avy conditions were considerable and would have to take that into acct as we traveled up the mtn.  Parked at Alpental about 8am and started up the route, past the ice cliffs, which are more like rock and steep snow cliffs right now.  We entered the forest on a nice skin track and stayed on it for a long time.  Normally when i ski up Snoqualmie Mtn i head onto the Phantom once above the cliffs but with the avy conditions listed as considerable we decided it was best to stay in the trees.  Besides, there was an excellent skin track in the trees all the way up to the end of the forested section, albeit with about a 100 kick turns.

When we got out of the trees we discussed the situation and decided we could continue with more caution as we were going onto a potential avy slope with cliffs above it.  we waited for each person to get to a safe location before the first person moved higher as to minimize the danger.  We had noticed quite a bit of settling around the trees as there was a ring of snow around the trees and then the actual snow level a few inches below that, clearly indicating some settling.  we also did some jump tests that seemed solid and some pole tests showing consistent layering.

Eventually we moved off the avy slopes and got to the slot.  one person had passed us on the way up and had already skied down it when we got there.  The conditions at the beginning of the slot were the usual icy ones.  We all shot in and fell to the uphill side to stop which allowed us to then sideslip the first 20 ft or so of icy slope.  We then got on beautiful snow still above the tight left turn.  Overall, the snow in the slot was fabulous.  It was solid but soft, allowing for excellent turns all the way to the bottom.

At the bottom we put our skins back on and headed up the usual way.  Skinning was easy for awhile, then more difficult higher up and finally we took off the skis, put them on our packs and booted it for the last 100 or so vert feet. 

Once at the top, skins came off and we again discussed whether we should ski through the trees or head over to the Phantom.  We decided it would be safer to ski through the trees.  The skiing at this point was phenomenal, the snow couldn't have been better.  Again it was firm but with a soft top, like skiing on velvet.  Every turn was super easy and enjoyable as we whooped it up.  About half way down as the trees were getting denser we decided to head over to the phantom.  We skied down the phantom until we got to the cliffs near the bottom.  Decision time - we saw a route on skiers right while we were skinning in that looked like it would go, or do we head into the trees for some tight, steep turns.  We decided to give the cliffs a try and found a nice way through with some steep drops.  And then we were back at the car in no time.

A fabulous day of skiing.  Wish i had some pics but i didn't take any.  just wanted to give a report on conditions up there.
How were the cornices on the exit chute/bootpack?

author=kamtron link=topic=30882.msg129252#msg129252 date=1393205900]
How were the cornices on the exit chute/bootpack?

there were no cornices to deal with on the route at all.

Reply to this TR

feb-22-2014-snoqualmie-mtn-the-slot
snowdog
2014-02-23 15:53:02